C4 G.P grows on you

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: C4 G.P grows on you

Post by Citroenmad »

myglaren wrote:Chris, the Audi system is automatic but you have to engage the clutch AND at the same time depress the throttle pedal. No need to push the button if you do that.
You have to wear your seatbelt too or it will never release.
That is what our old Scenic would do, as you got the bite and the correct amount of revs the handbrake would release. This A4 didn't seem to do that, I had to first push the button then it would release as I got the clutch bite.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

A repeat of the 1.6 in many ways , One of the disconcerting things ( for me at least ) were the menus / settings which were duplexed in most cases between the Stalks / Radio controls . I very quickly lost the plot and had to repeatedly refer to the handbook which did not fully cover all possible functions . very easy to unwittingly disable auto - handbrake etc. without realising this.

May have been a safer option to make some functions un - alterable by user - dealer only ? the handbrake been a mute point.

A gifted technical - author ( clearly not employed by Citroen ) would be taxed to cover the possible menu permutations in a mere handbook , which is why most people give up ? neither are the menu's intuitive ......

Big problem trying to second - guess what the Car is going to do next at each given situation ? when surely a driver should be worrying about what other road users / pedestrians etc. are about to commit to ? before committing yourself.

A manual box may be much preferable ?
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Dippy wrote:very easy to unwittingly disable auto - handbrake etc. without realising this.
My dad did that too in the first few days of his ownership!

He does love the car though, and I can see why. But he doesn't like to press on like I do...

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Dippy wrote: A manual box may be much preferable ?
If they made a 2.0HDi Exclusive manual then it would be a good replacement for our C5 estate (needs to have self leveling) but they dont, so its not an option. Shame, neither is a C5III Tourer, far too smaller boot.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Citroenmad wrote:Shame, neither is a C5III Tourer, far too smaller boot.
Crikey how much do you carry?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

DickieG wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:Shame, neither is a C5III Tourer, far too smaller boot.
Crikey how much do you carry?
Our C5 estate is full with heavy boxes for the business, its back seat bases are not in, the back rests are, so lighter boxes of paper work can be stored in there and the boot nicely fits 4 of the desired boxes across, two boxes deep and three boxes high, a C5III does not! Its one of the best estate cars we have found for this use, a Volvo V70 doesn't fit anywhere near as much, the new Mondeo is similar for room to the C5 but isnt self leveling. Still, the XM estate has an even better boot.

I have worked out how much weight it does carry and it is within spec for the car, just. Its not at all bothered by the weight, uses rear tyres a bit faster than normal, even at the higher pressure, but other than that its been excellent.

The previous car we used for this was a VW Cavavelle, which was very full looking with all the stuff in it, though it did have 7 of its 8 seats still in, with some folded. Our extended C15 did the duties before that.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

It's not just what you carry , more the overall package .

Superior vision , Better seating position / Comfort , Space between passengers , Ability to carry what you like ( within reason) where you like , easier to park. general flexibility of purpose .

A lot of people find the virtues of an MPV so utterly compelling that it's very hard to endure, once owned , anything else .

if PSA still made the Synergie ( No FAP, DMF etc. crap) I'd buy one in an instant .
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

We had a couple of Renault Scenics, only small MPVs but the concept was great and they both did everything we asked from a family car. One was the RX4 4x4 version and that was a very good car (should have been a diesel so it had torque and brakes ... ). The first shape Scenic was more spacious and user friendly than the ScenicII, however both were very good.

I can understand why MPVs are so popular, they offer flexibility that an estate car can only dream about. Often with boots of a similar size or greater. I do like C4 GPs and the normal C4 Picassos too, it would have to be a 1.6HDi manual though.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Wenglish

Re: C4 G.P dosen't grows on you

Post by Wenglish »

Having owned Citroens from the original DS way back (worked at a dealers my company car/Demo) like many others the best were the XM's trouble is when they go to sleep its far to low for my ageing joints to cope. So now on C5s1 estate 2.2 on 51 plate sold at 145000 kept blowing No 1 injector out of the head, saw it about 3 months ago over 256000 on the clock in a dealers, would not sell to me best car he ever had. Ran a c511 1.6 HDI for 18months very economical 60+mpg got fed up with anti polli fault. Swapped for GPC4 VTR+ complete with in my opinion lousy EGS lucky dip gearbox. Nice view etc but the ride dreadful, 150 miles and we have had enough, have to stop for the day, most of the journeys we do are 300+miles, so with the jiggly ride, and it can't legally pull my caravan as it is limited to1180kg, another 1.6HDI only just 40mpg solo worse when towing, its now waiting to be sold. Gone back to another C5s1 estate 2.2 HDI mpg low to mid 50's well able to cope with the van, comfort means we can do a three hundred mile in a day, feeling as fresh as when we started. There is one problem though in top gear 6th you have to be doing 60+ which is exciting around our local Lincolnshire roads, visitors beware if the signs say sharp bend believe then unless you can swim wearing a car, most corners so marked are 90degrees.
The best EGS box I have used was in a Merc 16 forward and 2 reverse. complete with 460 horses full air suspension on every thing wheels,cab and seat.
So take your pick C4GP or C5 I know my preference newer is not always better, even My dog likes the C5 over the C4GP.