Save an alternator? It's fine, problem was + cables high ohm

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Save an alternator? It's fine, problem was + cables high ohm

Post by Xaccers »

Cassy is fitted with a refurbed alternator, it must be about 4 years old now, and quite often the battery light glows dimly, the voltage at the battery on tick over is about 13V
Thing is, sometimes the battery light isn't visible at all.
Like last night, started her up, battery light was glowing, turned headlights on and it didn't make much difference.
On the way home the light wasn't visible, so during the journey the voltage had risen enough.

It's had LHM drip on it from a leaky pump while I tried to find the souce (was the bell end seal) so that's not helped.
She starts fine, so the battery is getting charged, I do quite high mileage throuh work mostly on dual carriageways.

So, what's likely to be up, and can it be repaired or should I plan for a replacement?
How exactly does LHM damage it?
Last edited by Xaccers on 24 Sep 2011, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I imagine the first thing the LHM does is to soak into the brushes and gum them up and coat everything in a somewhat resistive layer of gunk that accumulates dust and becomes greasy mud.

I expect a bit of dismantling, a few doses of electrical cleaning spray and a set of new brushes would cure it.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Bearing in mind you've had problems causing the light to illuminate, the dash bulb may be blackened causing it to look dim when illuminated. The easiest way to test the alternator is to connect up a voltmeter across the battery and observe the reading which should be around 14v or more with the engine turning over at say 2,000 rpm, then load the alternator with headlights/HRW/heater fan etc where the voltage should still remain around 14v. The cause of the dash light staying on could be due to a poor earth somewhere.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The dim glow is cause by the exciter terminal on the alternator being lower in voltage that the battery which possibly suggests that the regulator is faulty. You can buy them quite cheaply from ebay and they are not difficult to fit, certainly cheaper than a new alternator.

Maybe one of these from ebay

Peter
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Richard, battery light comes on fully bright with the ignition first turned on so not blackened, when it's glowing it will brighten in time with the indicators and with the use of the brakes.
Across the battery it's the lower end of 13V@2Krpm, could indeed be a dodgy earth.

So, could be:

1. Dodgy earth/feed
2. Regulator (although the voltage is quite stable, just low)
3. LHM gunk on the bushes

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The easy way to check for dodgy earths between the alternator, engine, body and battery is to use decent jump leads as a bridge across each item to the negative battery terminal whilst observing a voltmeter.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

If you need to go the recon route i can recommend this firm

http://www.westlancsautoelectrics.com/

I've used them several times for starters & alternators, their prices include return postage of the old unit and the units they ship out look like new. :D
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have seen dim glowing charge lamp caused by corosion between the regulator mounting and the body of the alternator,

also the only prob with sticking a new regulator on is if the slip rings have grooves worn in them, the new brush's with the new regulator will not sit corectly/fully against the slip rings,

regards malcolm
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

If your alternator has had LHM through it, you should really wash it out (at least around the brush-gear) with something that dissolves LHM.

Your warning light glow could be caused by high resistance in the cable between the alternator and the battery. You could run the engine from cold for a minute or so, and feel if the connection at the alternator or battery terminal are significantly warm, if so, you have found your problem.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

xantia_v6 wrote:If your alternator has had LHM through it, you should really wash it out (at least around the brush-gear) with something that dissolves LHM.

Your warning light glow could be caused by high resistance in the cable between the alternator and the battery. You could run the engine from cold for a minute or so, and feel if the connection at the alternator or battery terminal are significantly warm, if so, you have found your problem.
Excellent idea!

DIY sphere tool
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The ends of the double cable from the positive terminal were covered in verdi gris, and the positive terminal was rather hot.
Trimmed the ends off and refitted them to the terminal, no more glowing battery light and headlights are even brighter.
Haven't had a chance to actually test the voltage.

So, what can I coat the cable ends in that will protect them from the elements but still conduct electricity?

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Vaseline.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

myglaren wrote:Vaseline.
Excellent, Danielle's just said that as Cassy's a girl she can have some of Danielle's pink vaseline...

DIY sphere tool
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

or you could fabricate a citro blood deflecter from an ice cream tube, to place between the alt and H/P pump, mind you eat the ice cream first, and it has to be a decent cornish variaty :shock: :lol: :wink: ,

also if your clever you could make it so it not only protects the altanator, but collects the citro blood and returns it to the tank :lol:

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:
myglaren wrote:Vaseline.
Excellent, Danielle's just said that as Cassy's a girl she can have some of Danielle's pink vaseline...
I had to make do with Strawberry flavoured lip balm the other day....

Not as good as the pukka stuff :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...