Binding Front Brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Buchan Loon

Binding Front Brakes

Post by Buchan Loon »

Noticed that the front wheels are a bit warm after a run. Haven't had a chance to have a proper look but definitely need need handbrake cables as it looks like somebody's changed the pads without removing the cables and kinked the outers. Pretty sure that's not the problem though as the levers still go back to the stops. Do the pistons go sticky on these? And if so, is there any refurb possible or it it new caliper time?
1999 Xantia 2.1 TD SX
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

my 1.9td did this once, a good thump on the caliper released it and it didnt do it again. it was the handbrake peg sticking on mine though so i'd have a look at that. I can't remember how it comes out now but maybe if you get that out and give it a lube up?
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Three rubber on the caliper shaft cash split causing it to seize up.
Take the retaining pin out and see how the caliper moves.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
MJM
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by MJM »

If both sides are equally warm after a run then it suggests that all is OK. (To get both sides to bind by the same amount would be difficult to achieve accidentally!) The Xantia is quite a heavy car and it doesn't take much to get the front brakes hot, and that heat creeps into the wheels.

Is the car easy to push on level ground with the handbrake off? Or will it roll down a slight incline easily?
MJM
1999 Dante red Xantia Exclusive 2,0 petrol. No smelly diesel for me. Now re-homed
2007 Wicked Red C5 Exclusive. Now a smelly diesel automatic for me.
Buchan Loon

Post by Buchan Loon »

Rolls easily enough but if you coast to a halt you can just feel a 'grab' as she stops. If you try to turn a wheel with it off the ground it takes more effort than I think it should, certainly more than other cars I've owned
1999 Xantia 2.1 TD SX
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

How many clicks does it take to pull the handbrake on and when doing so can you feel the inner cable pulling through the outer or is it a case of little resistance then fully on if that makes sense?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
kenhall1202
My Cars: '05 C4 2.0HDI Exclusive
'07 Lexus RX400h
Past:
'73 GS 1220 Club Estate (a good intro to hydraulics and rust)
'74 DS D Super 5 (Superb comfort and even more rust)
'?? Dyane (fun + rust)
'?? CX 2400 GTI (served me well)
'89 CX Safari 2.5 DTR turbo (aka "the hearse" an excellent family load lugger)
'97 XM 2.1TD (Reliable and economical)

Post by kenhall1202 »

Binding front brakes on the XM can be caused by a lack of clearance or partial seizure concerning the relay lever which transfers the brake pedal pressure to the rubber button of the doseur valve (which being located in the XM front scuttle area means that these bits are exposed to the elements).

I am aware that the Xantia layout of the doseur valve differs from the XM but it may be worthwhile to check that the brake operating lever is fully retracting from the doseur button when the pedal is at rest.
Ken Hall
Buchan Loon

Post by Buchan Loon »

DickieG,

I'm not with the car ATM but IIRC it's 3 or 4 clicks but a really long travel. Pretty sure it's not the cables as the levers are going back to the stops on the calipers

Ken,

Can the button be seen from inside the car or from the engine bay?
1999 Xantia 2.1 TD SX
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

More often than not it's the pad backplate rusted into the caliper frame. take the pads out and clean the rust off the edges and from the slots that they fit in so that they move freely.

What happens is that the piston has enough pressure to push them on but they don't come back off when the pressure's off., it wears the pads out prematurely too.
kenhall1202
My Cars: '05 C4 2.0HDI Exclusive
'07 Lexus RX400h
Past:
'73 GS 1220 Club Estate (a good intro to hydraulics and rust)
'74 DS D Super 5 (Superb comfort and even more rust)
'?? Dyane (fun + rust)
'?? CX 2400 GTI (served me well)
'89 CX Safari 2.5 DTR turbo (aka "the hearse" an excellent family load lugger)
'97 XM 2.1TD (Reliable and economical)

Post by kenhall1202 »

Buchan Loon wrote:DickieG,

Ken,

Can the button be seen from inside the car or from the engine bay?
The Citroen Service diagram parts diagram shows the brake doseur valve mounted on the engine side of the bukhead and the operating lever and it's support on the cabin side, so i guess the answer is no. All you can do without dismantling is to make sure that the operating rod is moving freely.

I would second Gibbo2286's suggested check on pad seizure - they can become quite firmly stuck in the caliper. I always apply a smear of copper grease to all the pad and caliper sliding surfaces to reduce the chances of pad seizure.
Ken Hall