Insurance Matters

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

Use the price comparison websites then go to a cashback site like Quidco or Froggybank and get a percentage of your money back in 3 months.

Even though Admiral and Direct Line don't participate in the comparison sites, they do participate in the cashback sites.
I saved 1/3 of my insurance on Quidco this year.
A lot of money for spending an hour researching insurance quotes!
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

We have three seperate policys for the three cars. The c5 is hastings, full ncb £17 per month. 107 also hastings, no ncb £16 per month. wifes mini is with the coop, she was paying £22 per month for her old 206, now £20 for the mini, full ncb. All were arranged via confused.com, tried admiral multi-car was going to be nearly twice as much alltogether. Just keep shopping around and playing with quotes to find the best value.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Bought a 2cv

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Well everyone its plastic pig idea out of the window and gone as I have just bought a 1985 D reg 2cv in bits of of flea bay, got to go to London to get her yet but boy I feel like a little kid on Christmas morning...lol its got a galvanized chassis fitted and the floor has been shot blasted and it has been stored indoors ever since. a little surface rust spray with rust eater some red oxide paint then hit the floor with the hammerite two coats of it and get it waxed underneath this year before the winter sets in.
what does dinitrol cost? and where is the best place to by it please? and above all is it better than wax oil?

wonder if I can get classic insurance for a 1985 motor? wow my head is spinning got to get some sleep if I can calm down though.

regards Nigel.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I saw that ad Nigel - looks a relatively easy re-commissioning if you are not bothered about a mirror finish re-spray. I imagine limited miles classic policy will be no bother for a 2CV. Seen in the back window of one:

"Speed kills. Buy a 2CV and live forever!"

:lol:
Richard W
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Richard W,

The fella said there were a hundred people watching the auction and 26 bidders it was a bit of a fight in the last 10 seconds, I was literally shaking at the end.

There are a lot of options to consider yet a respray mirror finished at citroennet is fairly reasonable quite a way under 500 quid, I have been reading up on the front kingpins which apparently need replacing on this one
apparently they need greasing every 900 miles or you can send off the front arms and have them converted to ball joints and just forget about the kingpins, I have got to see what effect this has on road holding yet and join the club and discuss it with others who have done the conversion, seems like I am going to have a lot of fun with this.
it is definitely for keeps this one, I have been wanting one of these for a fair while, probably ever since my Father bought his first old GSA to do up- from Malcolm. a sensible investment I hope.

regards Nigel.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I would never regard doing up an old car as an 'investment', a money pit maybe :) the only way to 'invest' in old cars is to buy one after some mug has already done the work and desrperately needs to cash it in to buy food.
falling-out-with-my-car

Thats a good way to get skint quickly and what does that teach you about the car Nothing, taking out the engine and replacing the oil seals and fitting a new clutch only £54 for this particular 2cv, its an education in how it all works and you buy the car at half the cost of a rebuilt one paying someone 20% vat and £60 + and hour to put it all back together will add up to a nice tidy sum citronet has one of these 2cv's all done up for £12,000 and i got mine for way less than a grand, its a no brainer in my book.

it will definitely be worth more done up than in bits won't it ? so it is an investment it all depends on how you approach it I suppose, limited mileage only going out on dry days not using it in the winter when the snow and salt is on the ground checking the under-seal regularly and using my xantia as the ole banger should provide it with some value over time, besides petrol isn't cheap and waste processed veg oil is, it will be hard to choose which car to run in the summer time as the xantia reaps benefits from running on waste veg oil in warmer weather. roll on the day it becomes legal to make your own alcohol from home grown potatoes/apples to run your petrol car on
well I can dream can't I? if your apple orchards devoid of apples you'll know who's been to visit over night :lol: I am very happy and that's all that counts isn't it?

regards Nigel.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

I'll get my coat now...

Post by addo »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:...if your apple orchards devoid of apples you'll know who's been to visit over night :lol:
Both sides? That'd be a bilateral orchardectomy.
falling-out-with-my-car

Unfortunately the buying of the 2cv has fallen through the floor, excuse the pun, he asked me to phone him and the listing said he wanted shot in five days, after numerous efforts to contact him he finally answered and said he was to busy to sort it out at the moment and he would phone me back in five mins no call came back I waited five hours and tried again once again he was to busy to give me five mins to give me the details and he said he was sending an urgent email and he would phone me back which he did but even then he was to busy and promised to send me an email with all the details on after he had sent his urgent email, this was at 5pm at twenty to 9pm I sent a text asking if he wanted to sell me the car or not as I would like the details finalized before the bank holiday, he immediately rang back shouting down the phone at me I'm far to busy, so I basically told him in a not so polite manner where to stick his car, if he wants to sell it he has got to give
a little bit of time probably only 15 mins to finalize the details he is one of those people who dangles the carrot says "phone me" and sods people about. whilst shouting down the phone he said to me "some of us have to work for a living so there is some resentment that I am medically retired and can just about pool enough resources to buy and restore his 2cv yet he has to go to work all day every day and he can't afford to finish the project. I can't be bothered with the hassle I have told him I will save my money to buy a car from someone who can be bothered to spare the time to take it out of my hand. I pity anyone else that trys to buy this 2cv because it looks very much like he will give them the run around to. which is a great shame. never mind there might be others and it gives me more time to save up a bit more money. I am afraid of getting a bucket of rot though but if I have to restore a rust bucket and the seller has the time to be sociable and take the money from my hand it could all turn out well in the end. If I went to a stealer and paid £850 for an ole banger he would take the time to keep me happy for at least 15 mins sorting the details out because he wants his money. this guy is obviously not interested in taking the money or selling his car because he doesn't have the time. How the heck do people like him get 100% positive feedback on eBay???

regards Nigel.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Are there any of the GS-powered BFG bikes for sale in the UK? They might offer the right balance of fun, pricing and Cit-bits to satisfy.
falling-out-with-my-car

addo, Ive never heard of those sounds interesting as I have a full bike license to, I am set on buying a 2cv eventually and currently chasing another at £200- below the asking price of the one on fle-bay.
although this was not my reason for not going through with the transaction with the other fella. only found it late last night doing a thorougher search online.

apologies for my ranting above people most of you have been very helpful in the past few days with the original subject matter and I really do appreciate the advice Thank you everyone.

regards Nigel.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:Thats a good way to get skint quickly and what does that teach you about the car Nothing, taking out the engine and replacing the oil seals and fitting a new clutch only £54 for this particular 2cv, its an education in how it all works and you buy the car at half the cost of a rebuilt one paying someone 20% vat and £60 + and hour to put it all back together will add up to a nice tidy sum citronet has one of these 2cv's all done up for £12,000 and i got mine for way less than a grand, its a no brainer in my book.

it will definitely be worth more done up than in bits won't it ? so it is an investment it all depends on how you approach it I suppose, limited mileage only going out on dry days not using it in the winter when the snow and salt is on the ground checking the under-seal regularly and using my Xantia as the ole banger should provide it with some value over time, besides petrol isn't cheap and waste processed veg oil is, it will be hard to choose which car to run in the summer time as the Xantia reaps benefits from running on waste veg oil in warmer weather. roll on the day it becomes legal to make your own alcohol from home grown potatoes/apples to run your petrol car on
well I can dream can't I? if your apple orchards devoid of apples you'll know who's been to visit over night :lol: I am very happy and that's all that counts isn't it?

regards Nigel.
I've only been in the trade for 61 years, what do I know? :D
falling-out-with-my-car

gibbo, you do it as a job because you need, to as a hobby it becomes a passion of which people are very proud of their efforts to learn how something is put together, no offense intended but you can buy a fully restored 2cv special for 12 grand now someone is obviously making a juicy profit there aren't they, that must surely be considered an investment and not just a money pit, when an old motor is lovingly restored to almost original condition they do draw a good price.

Ive seen dealers buy cheap at auctions and sell at the parkers inflated price guide plus their percentage profit on top. I have watched whilst dealers pay very little for motors they are driven in whilst prospective buyers give them the once over before bidding. fair enough its not a test drive but it is possible to see the potential profits that can be made a bit of spit and polish the minimum done for an MOT. maybe a quick once over with the VAX machine to clean the interior or as they used to do steam clean the engine bay, polish on the tyres and presto profit, mind you this was a long time ago before the government scrappage scheme where thousands upon thousands of perfectly good used motors were sent to their graves.

I have at last found a person, selling a 2cv special that wants my money his name is Bob and I am going to see the car on Saturday, deposit in hand just in case. very nice gentleman and he sounds very genuine and honest about what he wants to sell, the cars mileage is bit higher but has full service history with it and all the receipts for all the work done over the years a small hole in the drivers side floor pan, one in each sill and a rust spot on the door pillar the rest in the photos looks pretty good, so I shall top up the xantia with filtered veg oil and go and have a look on Saturday at last a pleasant person to to deal with not some time waster who is far to busy to spend a couple of minutes giving his address over the phone.

regards Nigel.
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

addo wrote:Are there any of the GS-powered BFG bikes for sale in the UK? They might offer the right balance of fun, pricing and Cit-bits to satisfy.
Thats a blast from the past Addo.

I remember a few Citroen engined semi factory - special bikes , but not the makers names , some had 2CV motors too.

They make serious £ dosh these days :shock:

Last one( Cit engined bike ) I saw catalogued was at a Bonhams auction online list . it made £ 16K and a DS Super 5 in not fantastic condition £23K. but that was pre - recession.

Remember the Munch Mammut ? with the nsu engine.
falling-out-with-my-car

heres a link on Ciitroenet about them.

http://www.citroenet.org.uk/miscellaneous/bfg/bfg.htm

makes for very interesting reading. it is high time Citroen put a diesel engine in a motorcycle to.

regards Nigel.