Insurance Matters

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Insurance Matters

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi, I have been pondering bringing back a piece of my youth and purchasing a plastic pig and running it as a second car.

but I am having a lot fun with insurance quotes at present I am with the Green Insurance company who did a very reasonable quote of £220 for my group 11 Citroen Xantia fully comp and protected no claims of 8 years.

Now if I change vehicles completely I can take that no-claims bonus with me to another car but if I want to run a second motor I cant transfer the no-claims bonus which doesn't seem very fair.

does anyone know of a good insurers that might entertain an eccentric xantia and robin reliant owner without hitting me for a five hundred quid fully comp quote for a group 3 robin reliant 850 cc three wheeler?

many thanks in advance Nigel.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Have you tried Adrian Flux? I'm sure they do a decent multi car policy.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Another is Admiral Multicar.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

A couple of years ago I bought another XM making three, I had insurance on the other two but this would have been a new policy which I expected to be expensive. I went on to Confused.com and managed to insure it for a little over £200.00. It seems that if you have a good driving record and the use of other cars plus a good no claims bonus, that is taken into consideration.

Sadly I had an accident in it about 6 months later, about 6 months after my wife wrote one of the others off :oops: fortunately I had protected no claims.

Peter
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

Directline did a good deal when my wife insured her Laguna & Fiat 500 with them also Aviva who she is with now are very good ,

Mark
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Re: Insurance Matters

Post by Ross_K »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:Now if I change vehicles completely I can take that no-claims bonus with me to another car but if I want to run a second motor I cant transfer the no-claims bonus which doesn't seem very fair.
You need to tell a broker you want to mirror your NCD.

You could try explaining what mirroring is to a call center in Mumbai, but I'd say you won't get far. Best speaking to a human in your locality.

And failing that, Admiral multicar...
ImageImage
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My problem with insurers is that my nearly 50 years of no claims on my motor trader's policy will not transfer to any single car policy.

I wanted to retire about six years ago, tried to take out a private car policy and they (all) told me I had to start fresh as though I was a seventeen year old new driver.

So I still have a trader's policy TPFT at £500 a year but it does mean I can jump into anything and go.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

So I still have a trader's policy TPFT at £500 a year but it does mean I can jump into anything and go.

Is that as long as you don't own it?

Classic Ins. may be best bet on hedgehog killer. Pete Best or similar.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Admiral gets my vote every time, very competitive and customer service second to none...
lexi wrote:hedgehog killer.
:lol: Does it actually go fast enough to be a danger to our prickly friends then? :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

lexi wrote:

Is that as long as you don't own it?

Classic Ins. may be best bet on hedgehog killer. Pete Best or similar.
No, it covers 'any vehicle in the custody or control of the insured' for motor trade + social domestic and pleasure.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I tried Admiral which is fine as long as you can afford to put up the money in one payment they wont accept monthly installments with multi-car or at least they didn't at the time I even offered to pay a £200 deposit but still no go.

I will try some of the others suggested, I have come to my senses a little and decided to hang on a save up some more pennies and try to find a nice 2cv to do up, the Citroen force is much stronger in me than the reliant force.
if I'm gonna look stupid driving another car it might as well be a 2cv and not a plastic pig and believe it or not the insurance is cheaper. I reckon its because I have a 3 year restricted license because I started on insulin for type 2 diabetes in July this year

.(a case of having to tablets don't work anymore) The medical report from the docs was fine no problems to report to DVLA.

when I told my current insurance company they weren't bothered at all, we shall see next year if they really are bothered. actually I was wondering if my Dad could insure it if I pay him the money then I could drive it third party on my own insurance.

cheers Nigel.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

I Have A Xantia HDi Exclusive on a full time insurance with Direct Line.

I then wanted to insure my XM 24v S1... However, I discovered, that as she was H reg 1991, making her 20 years old, she is quailified for Classic Insurance. Now, Id expect all Robins to be Classic... or does it not count as they are a 3 wheeler..?

Anyway, I discovered that I CAN insure the XM, on a YEARLY basis, without the need for any no claims, ona classic policy, for 17 quid a MONTH!

Chausser Insrance I think they are. They DO NOT need any no claims, and you do NOT build any up either, as the car is classic, and a second car, I had to declare limited milage, which is also fine..

So that makes me happy, the XM is covered all year at just 17 quid a month, and Ive also got the every day car on the road..

The Broker I got the quote from was: Performance Direct Insurance.

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

Try any classic car insurer they will do you insurane for about £100 a year if its a second car, As suggested Adrain Flux are good. My Friend has a few plastic pigs and pays pennys to insure them !!
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I pay monthly to Admiral multi car for my three
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
RustyUK
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7 2.0 Hdi Saloon
Toyota Aygo (C1/107!)
Dodge Caliber SXT 1.8 (for sale...)

Post by RustyUK »

Admiral Multicar here too, for my C5 and little Matiz. Very competitive, especially in my second multicar year now. And after moving to what most would consider a riskier area, my renewal cost went down! Most insurers crank the price up year on year in my experience.

Curiously though, they sent me two individual certificates in the renewal documents, one with 9 years NCD (the C5, my 'primary' car) and 8 on the Matiz, neither mentioning multicar. I've only had a second car for a little over a year.

So does that mean after one year on a multicar policy, I've earned 7 extra years NCD on the second car and could legitimately present that to any other insurer? As it was it I stuck with Admiral anyway, but curious all the same! There was nothing to say I couldn't use that as proof elsewhere... great way to quickly rank up NCD on other cars if so!