Xsara light flashing (engine managment?) and shuddering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ashy90

Xsara light flashing (engine managment?) and shuddering

Post by ashy90 »

My girlfriends Auntie and Uncle have a 2001 Xsara, petrol - 1.4 I think, possibly a 1.6. Anyway tonight on their way home apparantly there was a light flashing on and off on the far left hand side of the instrument cluster, and the car was 'shuddering' when they came to a stop. Anyway when I went and looked at it when I started it up the flashing light had stopped, and the engine diddnt seem to be misfiring or anything - althought I diddnt drive it, and I diddnt rev it much as it was late.

I am guessing then that this light is the engine management light, and that the shuddering they speak of was it misfiring.

Would I be right in thinking the coil pack would be the first thing to check/replace on one of these engines?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Could be a bunch of things. Is it an auto?

Putting the car on a Lexia (or clone) is the sensible first step; the small cost is saved immediately when you don't have anywhere near the amount of "guess and swap" going on.
ashy90

Post by ashy90 »

It is a manual.

The following day the car drove fine apparantly, so dont know if its an intermittent fault or it was just one of those things (damp etc.)