HDI 110 - what to look for

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

flashgit

HDI 110 - what to look for

Post by flashgit »

hi guys,

An update from my last post - the citroen c5 hdi 90 was sold to someone else.

Anyway seen a cheapie - Pug 406 HDI 110 estate. 02 reg. Mileage is 197k.

What to look out for on this?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

At least you would be free of sphere/hydraulic concerns - something that's more significant to a Cit novice.

Mixture control motors in the aircon/heating may fail. I'd also check the overall condition of springs/shocks, and make a general allowance for service works immediately upon acquisition.
flashgit

Post by flashgit »

the guy told me the rear shocks could do with replacing.

how would I know if it is rear shocks and not smething more serious?

would weak / knackered shocks causing knocking at the back? is it safe to drive a car like that?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Subframe mount bushes, possibly. Shock eye bushes, possibly. Loose calipers, possibly. Not sure if they have a torsion bar rear or not; flogged out bearings if they do, will cause a bit of commotion.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

As for the engine itself. These 8v First Generation Two litre engines are prooving to be rather strong!!

Peter N bought a 406 estate just the same as yours after I convinced him to go HDi route, and IIRC it was also on 197k, or is now, and he has had Zero problems.. Im Sure.

Anyway, DO anyway check the dipstick and oil filler cap for Mayonaise, or sign of water drops. DERVs should NOT have any Mayo in them at all, as they do NOT suffer from the problem Petrol engines have from short journeys so it should be stricktly Oil Only in there.

If the car starts within 4 turns at most then thats fine, if it starts sooner even better... There NO tell tail signs to indicate if the Egnine Pump is going to fail, however, they dont apper to be a common fail item. The Fuel Tank Lift Pump, IF its a Bosch Pump on the engine, can and do fail commonly. My guess though at 197k its likely to have had one.

However, if its a Siemans Engine pump I beleve they have a pump built into them and there NO lift pump in the tank.. Im not certain though.

Take it for a drive and check for pressure in the top hose of the cooling system, there should be none or little, if the unscrew the coolant cap and therefeels like a LOT of pressure be wearey... UNSCREW carefully so you DO NOT BURN yourself!!!

Being a 110bhp, there should be peanty of in gear go... but really, if she starts theres not much else on the engine you can check..

I cannot fault the 16v HDI engines, they are very tough!! Better then the XUD in some ways.. certainly as far as Head Gaskets go.

No doubt there will be other views though...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Paul is quite correct and I think its a lovely car - apart from lack of hydropnumatic suspension. I have done getting on for 10,000 miles in it now and the engine has never missed a beat, starts instantly just like a petrol.

Mine also had some rattles in the rear suspension but I replaced the top links and drop links and it all quiet now, very cheap on ebay.

Peter
flashgit

Post by flashgit »

so basically apart from the usual checks of fluids etc....if it starts and drives. pulls well it should be ok?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

That's about it. A couple I looked at had head gasket leakage, it only seem to be me that get them, paul apparantly doesnt but in addition to what he says just check for any evidence of coolant residue around the filler cap and overflow pipe.

The clutch bites very high up on mine which is an indication that the clutch is worn but I have had no trouble with it, so as long as it doesn't slip don't be put off by it.

Peter