Rough ideling - Never forget the bleedinglley obvious

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

puddle jumper
My Cars:

Rough ideling - Never forget the bleedinglley obvious

Post by puddle jumper »

My C5 Exclusive SE 2.2 HDi had started to idle roughley over the last couple of weeks, so I read the forums and as the tempeture gauge was playing up I assume it was the temp. sender ( the cold start pre heat was coming on in warm weather as well). As I was on holiday I took the engine covers off and found this :-

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m57 ... to0145.jpg

Seals on both 2 and 3 injuctors had gone and the one with all the crud around it was leaking less then the one to its left. The starnge thing is that there was no "chuffing" sound (as verified by company mechanic) not a lot of power loss, and a only very slight smell of carbon in the car. The "crud" was close to pitch and had to be chieseled out and there was no diesel anywhere to be seen or smelt. Fuel consumption did drop around 3 mpg over the last couple of day's though.
Just thought this may be of interest to people with the rough idle problem, It does pay to take the covers off now and again and have a good look around........
Last edited by puddle jumper on 17 Aug 2011, 22:39, edited 2 times in total.
My Xantia is dead {at 250K) long live my C5 exclusive...Bing Bong Damaged Tyre Detected... Bing Bong ESP/ASR sys.....bing bloody bong.

01 C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive SE
Past loves 1.9TD Xanta RIP & 1.9D BX
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Think you need to sort the link to your picture!

The picture doesn't show... but that link shows a pictures of one of Andmcit's many CX's!

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

I guess it could'nt leak anymore with all that crud build up.
Should have left it and let it reseal itself :wink: .
puddle jumper
My Cars:

Post by puddle jumper »

Sorry Think I've got it now. This is the first picture i've tried to post, I cleared the crud from around it and the injector to the left was leaking a lot more, why no crud around no 2 ? Both injectors came out quite easily and both washer's were quite good, even the top plastic seals were in quite good condition for this kind of leakage.
My Xantia is dead {at 250K) long live my C5 exclusive...Bing Bong Damaged Tyre Detected... Bing Bong ESP/ASR sys.....bing bloody bong.

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Interesting that. Never seen owt like it ..........
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Interesting picture. I've read about injector blow by on several diesels from different manufacturers. I've seen a couple of examples of this problem on Mercedes CDi diesels. If you Google 'Diesel Injector Blow By' you'll see several links.

How tight are the fixing bolts on injector 2 if that one is leaking but not sooted up?
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
puddle jumper
My Cars:

Post by puddle jumper »

No 2 injector was tight, I know this because I thought it may be leaking about 18 month's ago, so I tightened it up, perhaps in hindsight over tightened it, I also checked the others. No 3 injector nuts were a lot slacker when I took them off but I put this down to heat.
Strangely now I've driven about 200 miles the tempeture gauge which was moving between zero and normal (mostly on or just above the blue) has behaved as you would expect, Fuel consumption has gone up to 43.8 and the power increase and response time are better (as you would expect)
I just thought this was interesting as having worked on commercials for over 30 years I've not come across anything like this, and the complete lack od diesel either smell or as blown out fuel was unexpected.