Pressure regulator not ticking anymore - Xantia 1.9TD LX est

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete the bus
My Cars:

Pressure regulator not ticking anymore - Xantia 1.9TD LX est

Post by pete the bus »

Not sure how long this has been the case - I was doing some Citroebics last week as part of a general check over and was surprised to find that the usual clicking from the regulator was missing when raising and lowering the suspension. Is this something needing urgent attention, or can I go about my daily business and get it sorted at a later date? I presume I will need a new/recon regulator?
Thanks for any input.
Peter
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I'd say it must still be opening and closing otherwise the system would over pressurise and explode somewhere, if it was under pressurising then a warning light on the dash would illuminate. Its more than likely that the click has become quieter with age/use so if you want to check its operating correctly the correct way is to fit a gauge into the system and observe the pressure at which its opening/closing. You could use a stethoscope or a long screwdriver to listen to the regulator operating which will help overcome the noise from the engine.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
pete the bus
My Cars:

Post by pete the bus »

Cheers DickieG.

There's no warning light, so i guess it's coming up to pressure. The ticking was previously quite noticeable, but will have a go with the long screwdriver idea ( as I don't own a stehoscope :) ).

Is there a situation where the pressure might be being lost elsewhere and the regulator is not having to come into play?
Buchan Loon

Post by Buchan Loon »

Mine's the same, so you're not alone. There's a barely discernable change of engine note at tickover. It's more than a minute apart and everything seems to be working ok so I'm not too bothered (unless someone says otherwise!)
1999 Xantia 2.1 TD SX
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

pete the bus wrote:Is there a situation where the pressure might be being lost elsewhere and the regulator is not having to come into play?
You certainly can have internal leaks but if the leak was sufficient to cause the regulator to never reach cut out pressure then the leak would be very severe with other symptoms such as pushing off a return pipe and then pools of LHM on the floor. If the car has no other symptoms or problems I'd leave it alone, TBH its not easy to hear the regulator on diesel cars even from new once they changed over to anti sink from around 1994 onwards. If ain't broke don't try and fix it appears to be the best advice here :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

mine seems about the same too ;)
aint worried...

but I did get a cheap stetho from a car shop (or try ebay) for about £4 .. useful gadget... :twisted: if you're very very lucky, you may even get girls at work asking you to examine them, if you're unlucky it could
be guys lol
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

jgra1 wrote:if you're very very lucky, you may even get girls at work asking you to examine them, if you're unlucky it could
be guys lol
:lol: :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
pete the bus
My Cars:

Post by pete the bus »

Cheers for the input, guys. Have had a closer listen - can hear a noise that resembles a quick "scrape" rather than a quick "tick"...
Increases in tempo when the car is rising, so I guess all is OK...

Now to sort out the rather high front suspension, which I presume is giving me a hard ride, but will start another thread for that...
Peter
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Assuming the PR is cutting in and out OK, the lack of tick is usually because the non-return ball seating needs re-seating or has some foreign matter stuck in there.

Depressurise it, remove the acc sphere and you'll see a slotted plate holding the said valve in and also one of the spool valves.

Unscrew the plate and give the ball a tap with a brass drift.

Reassemble and test.

HTH
Mike in West Yorks
1982 GSA Pallas
1982 Dyane
1997 ZX Dimension