bad luck when buying - trying again - Now C5 HDI?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

flashgit

bad luck when buying - trying again - Now C5 HDI?

Post by flashgit »

hi guys,

as you all know I bought a Xantia Turbo Diesel earlier this week. Anyway it turns out the oil was going into the coolant expansion tank. I took it to the mechanic (local guy) and he wasnt quite sure what would be casuing it.

Anyway I put a "for sale" sign on the car yesterday and I sold it today!
OK I lost £30 pounds on it! A Polish chap bought it and I did tell him of the problem. He didnt seem to concerned about it!

Anyway now seen a 2002/02 C5 HDI 90 LX. 137000 miles. MOT December, Tax End August.

Known problems (after speaking to the owner) passenger door wont open from outside. A small scratch on the door.

What should I look out for when viewing the car?

Any known issues. Is the car best avoided?

Asking price £795

Come on guys....help me out
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Seems a very decet price.

They are quite hardy things actually and the 2.0 HDi 8v is a reliable one if looked after.

Cambelts are every 100K, check it has been done and the water pump too.

The 90 is not a quick car, so keep that in mind, it will also be less economical than the 110 version, but not by much.

Check the ride quality, a lot of C5s are riding a bit rough now so budget in spheres if its bouncy. Check the suspension reaches every height. Though the C5s suspension is pretty well sorted and doesn't give much trouble.

Check that all of the electrics work, most importantly the indicator stalks, check every function.

Im pretty sure the 90s have a DMF as do the 110s. Check the clutch does not rattle/slip or judder.

Give it a good drive, check for rattling from the back over bumps, make sure the engine sounds quiet and doesn't rattle below 3000rpm.

They are quite reliable things and if its fairly obvious its been cared for then it might be a good one and worth buying.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
flashgit

Post by flashgit »

Thanks for that.
does the car have a similar lever next to the hand brake for the suspension as a Xantia does? can these cars run on Veg oil?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I'm not sure and definitly not.

Peter
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

The C5s are electronic, there is two bottons between the front seats which operate the height levels. On the LX it wont have the larger screen readout so it will have a display on the speedo unit warning of which height its in. Press the button once for each height, its fairly instant.

No, no HDi can be run on veg, you need a older school XUD with a mechanical pump to safely run on veg.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
flashgit

Post by flashgit »

Do any c5s come with Xud engine?
how much do spheres cost to replace?
will it have the same yellow hat on the Lhm reservoir?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

C5s don't have the XUD series lump.

Seriously, if outright economy (as in, wanting to run a car on veg oil) is a concern then perhaps look at 97-98 Peugeot 406s.

If you would like to own a Citroën for the sake of its ride comfort, what about getting to know people either from this Forum or the Club who competently DIY? They might be willing to share some of the tips for successful self maintenance on a Xantia or C5 - but you need to see it in the flesh; the internet is not a place to start from first principle when it may be issues of safety at stake.

Cheers, Adam.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

If you want to run on veg a C5, or any HDi engined car, will not suit your needs. Most other more modern diesels won't stand it either.

The internet is often a great place to build knowledge of what you should be looking for when viewing a particular car, the rest is up to yourself. Obvioulsy the same safety check, histoy check etc go for any car.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

flashgit wrote:Do any c5s come with Xud engine?
how much do spheres cost to replace?
will it have the same yellow hat on the Lhm reservoir?
C5 spheres are more expensive then Xantia ones, I think around 80 a pair, rather then 50 a pair for Xantia ones..

The Fluid system on a C5 is COMPLETELY different from the Xantia, and uses a different type of fluid too..

If you need sphere changes etc im only over in North Wales, a trip over would be worth the saving ensuring its done correctly...

These cars - C5 or Xantias, are not understood very well by the average mechanic... I think Im correct in thinking the C5 needs a Lexia Computer to de pressurise the system to swap spheres.. of which I have.

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

citroenxm wrote:I think Im correct in thinking the C5 needs a Lexia Computer to de pressurise the system to swap spheres..
You don't need a lexia to de pressurise the suspension system, after all how would you do it if you had to change the BHI unit if the electrinic part of it failed & lexia doesent comunicate with it ?

See this topic for details.
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=36592[/b]
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

C5 uses bright orange LDS fluid for the suspension not green LHM fluid. Front drop links will almost certainly need replacing, they can be bought for £25-30 a pair plus 1 hour to change them over. Listen for knocking sound from front over every little bump, if you have it then the drop links are gone. Also check passenger side aircon can be changed between cold/hot air and back, if it sticks on hot then it needs a modified hot/cold blend flap motor. (ask me how i know about both faults) :wink:
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

wheeler wrote:
citroenxm wrote:I think Im correct in thinking the C5 needs a Lexia Computer to de pressurise the system to swap spheres..
You don't need a lexia to de pressurise the suspension system, after all how would you do it if you had to change the BHI unit if the electrinic part of it failed & lexia doesent comunicate with it ?

Ok - I DID say I think.

Thankyou for clearing that up...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

citroenxm wrote:
wheeler wrote:

Ok - I DID say I think.

Thankyou for clearing that up...

Paul
Yeah i know you said you think, was just emphasising this as it seems to be quite a common misconception that a Lexia is needed for depressurisation of the suspension circuit. A lexia does make the job easier & quicker right enough.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

SaabC5 wrote:C5 uses bright orange LDS fluid for the suspension not green LHM fluid. Front drop links will almost certainly need replacing, they can be bought for £25-30 a pair plus 1 hour to change them over. Listen for knocking sound from front over every little bump, if you have it then the drop links are gone. Also check passenger side aircon can be changed between cold/hot air and back, if it sticks on hot then it needs a modified hot/cold blend flap motor. (ask me how i know about both faults) :wink:
C5s eat through CHEAP drop links, purchase genuine Citroens ones and they last an awful lot longer. Typically the mileage of genuine ones seems to be about 60-70K, cheap ones can last as little as 20K. I think Citroen charge about £35-£40 for one, still cheap enough and a very easy thing to fit.

Right enought about the heater motor flaps too, again an easy fix though.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
flashgit

Post by flashgit »

thanks for all the tips guys.

So is the suspension on the C5 more "modern" than the xantia? - by that I mean will it be more comfortable etc?

Also is there any local handymen who could/would service/fix my car if and when it needs it. I would pay of course.