That blasted BX speedo cable rubber retainer!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Linegeist
My Cars:

That blasted BX speedo cable rubber retainer!!

Post by Linegeist »

Had a bad case of the wobbly speedo syndrome on the BX, so decided to strip out the cable to lubricate it ......... hmmm. Nice accessibility there then Citroen! [xx(][:D][:D]
All went nicely (cable was dry, polished it with 600 wet & dry then lightly smeared with copaslip) until it came to getting that dratted rubber cable retainer thingy back into its orifice..... I tried oiling it, coating it with STP and jiggling the cable end in its housing while I balanced my navel on the bonnet catch like I was about to commit Seppuku! No joy!
Of course I then had the bright idea of using long-nosed pliers to try and PULL it through from the other side - more balancing - and of course the last 1/2" snapped off cleanly after the gentlest of tugs (honest, gents!) By this time, I've taken longer trying to get this slippery little basket back into its proper place than the rest of the job combined...........it was then that the <font color="red"><b><i>idea</i></b> </font id="red">came!!!
After a brief rest to dissipate the shock, I drilled a very small hole the length of what remained of the bung and threaded a piece of bowden cable through it lengthways. By knotting the end at the large diameter end after first placing a washer over the cable, I could now feed the cable through the hole and get a good hard pull on it.
POP! Grin........... worked a treat[8D]
I now need to get rid of this headache after the unaccustomed bright idea........[:(][:D][:D]
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

You havent said, but you mustn't have bought your BX from new, as it is written in the warranty on page 974, para 78 sub section 35q, that if you do need to remove the speedo cable retaining rubber thingy. That all warranties are void and it is recomended to replace the car rather than remove the rubber thingy in the first place.
Paul[:o)]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I don't want to rain on the party, but did you try a "silicone release spray" on it?
I use almost as much of that as I do Oxygen particularly when working around rubber & plastic. Can make things go from seemingly impossible to fit to "how did that go in there so easy" with one big caution. Don't get it on your hands & take the car for a test drive until you've scrubbed up; plastic steering wheels get too hard to hold with traces on your hands.
Incidentally, your car would be LHD wouldn't it? If you feel the need to suffer (masicism??)[}:)][:p] try doing one on a RHD version. If you ever liked doing mazes as a kid, you'll love it!![:0]
Alan S [:o)][;)]
Linegeist
My Cars:

Post by Linegeist »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alans</i>
A: I don't want to rain on the party,
B: but did you try a "silicone release spray" on it?
Alan S [:o)][;)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
A: Too late Alan! You already have - why couldn't you have told me this before? [}:)][:D]
B: Silicon release spray - any chance of a brand name please? You ARE of course assuming that we have such advanced technology in France, however my brother-in-law will be visiting in a few weeks from the UK. I feel a favour request coming on. [:)]
<font color="red">Caution Afterthought:</font id="red">
<i>Hmmm, 'Silicon release spray' eh? Getting pills down recalcitrant cats, stopping kids opening bedroom doors without warning, a quick spray on the piano keys will finally teach the missus to play jazz........the list is endless, isn't it? </i>[8D]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

It comes in a variety of trade names but possibly all Aussie though.
Slipicone, 5 Star, CRC, Sellys.
As a thought, if you can't get it as a spray, there's always "Loctite" Silicone Grease which works equally as well, and yes some of the uses you mention will work; plastic zips take kindly to it as do the tracks for the windows of the car...the ones that groan & chatter when they get a bit older; not so sure about the Jazz bit though!![8D][8D][:D]
Alan S [:p][}:)]
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Speaking of Aussie trade names, this month's UK "Car Mechanics" magazine includes a letter suggesting that diesel easystart is sold as "Start-U-Bastard" in Aussieland - can you confirm or deny, Alan?
David
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Yep; that's right....ever such sticklers for terminology & protocol.
You have to remember that the word "bastard" over here can be a term of endearment.
Anyone referred to as a clever "bastard" or a friendly "bastard" or a poor old "bastard" even a decent sort of a "bastard" is usually a nice kind of guy who is being paid the ultimate compliment. However, a real "bastard", smart "bastard", useless "bastard" or just a "bastard", usually is a "bastard".
A motor not wanting to start would doubtless come into the latter category and the phrase used as a brand name in this instance, would have been uttered many times in the process of trying to coax it into starting.
You've got to admit though; Aussies are funny "bastards" at times.
Alan S [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:I]