Xsara 2.0 HDI engine clatter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

a p clarke
My Cars:

Xsara 2.0 HDI engine clatter

Post by a p clarke »

My 1999 Xsara HDI estate (108,000 miles, full history)emits a noise similar to that of a 1.9TD with the pump timing slightly out, or with a faulty injector, whilst under load, between @1700 rpm up to exactly 3050 rpm when it goes quiet. The Citroen Proxia machine can find no fault and I have had a software download, but the noise persists. Is anyone familiar with this and is it possible that there is something more sinister going on, such as a worn crank.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Andrew,
Have you had this car for long? I assume this clatter is a mechanical noise on top of the light clatter these engines seem to make at the speeds you mention.
David
a p clarke
My Cars:

Post by a p clarke »

David. The car is an ex fleet car that I have had for about 12 months and done 9000 miles in. The noise has always been there and is a distinct engine speed related tapping, not heard when stationary only under load and always stopping abruptly at exactly 3050 rpm, which is when I assume the fuel delivery curve or injector timing in the ECU changes. I have heard a similar clatter in a high milage 406 taxi. The noise is over and above the normal rattle and at times sounds similar to a worn big end, but then to my ears, most diesel injection related problems sound like that.
Andrew
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

it sounds possible you may have a worn crankshaft pulley,its a pretty common thing on HDi engines and can actualy sound like a top end noise.try taking the alternator belt of and see if there is any freeplay in the pulley although there may not always be when it is still worn.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Andrew,
Interesting. You could well have an extra "real" problem but it is just possible you are sensitive to the light mid-range "clatter" these engines all seem to make.
Some folks will think they are better in all respects than the 1.9TD but quite a few, myself included, find this noise quite noticeable in the speed ranges you mention.
David
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

If its a common rail type of fuel delivery to the injectors and the injectors have soleniods on them. Then you may find that this type of clatter is common to most of these diesels of various makes with this type of system. They have a total electronic control of the pump with its fuel mixture and timing which may make it sound more clattery where they use more advance and fuel in certain revving and load conditions.
Have you listened to another of a similar mileage of the same HDI engine.
Sooty
a p clarke
My Cars:

Post by a p clarke »

I am presently searching for a similar age and mileage car to compare with, but checking taxis for an HDI badge and correct mileage is not as easy as it sounds and attracts some peculiar looks. Meanwhile I continue to drive the car and will post the results of my comparison ASAP.
Andrew
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

I drive a 406 hdi at work and it sounds clattery at certain revs.