How to replace oil back harness on front suspension piping?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sifaan
(Donor 2020)

How to replace oil back harness on front suspension piping?

Post by sifaan »

Hi!
I have a first gen C5 (2.0i with hydractive 3+) and there's a leak on the oil back harness in the front suspension return piping.
this is a picture of what it looks like (if looking from the front of the car, this is to the top-left of the engine; BTW I had a look at a C5 HPI and this space looked totally different on that car so YMMV)
http://c5.almostunreal.org/oil_picture.jpg

the particular hose that is leaking leads to the top of the LDS reservoir.
I have obtained the replacement part (#2 in the following diagram - it is the hose leading to the tank as well as the junction box)
http://c5.almostunreal.org/oil_diagram.jpg

any advice on what I need to do to replace the part? Is it just a case of putting the car on the lowest height setting, unplugging the hoses leading to the junction box, plug them into the new one, fix the new one at the reservoir tank, and top up LDS as required? getting access to the junction box to maneuver the hoses seems tricky, but it isn't obvious to me how to remove stuff to make the access easier :(

and afaik there is no special requirement to bleed the LDS once the job is done? (except maybe cycle through the height settings a few times?)

Thanks!

BTW earlier the former Citroen agent in Sri Lanka used to accept if I supplied the parts and they charged for the labour which was very reasonable. But they no longer accept customer supplied parts and wanted to charge me 25000 rupees (about 140 pounds) for the part and also 3 weeks to supply it, whereas I got it from a UK dealer for 30 pounds + VAT). Unfortunately that means there is no facility in Sri Lanka trained in hydractive who can do this for me; the best I could find is an indy with Pug experience...
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

There’s no need to put the suspension on the low setting as very little fluid will escape because the only higher return pipe is the one you’re replacing.
It’s easier to reach and work on the highest setting.
Nothing to bleed or cycle, the returns will flow by themselves.
If the LDS sloshes around the tank seam at any setting, there’s enough of it. Image

My car has just the same arrangement and I’ve never been there but the hard part looks like detaching the two metal pipes without kinking them.
Maybe squirt WD40 into the top of the short rubbery end pipes to help them slide down.
Removing the pressurised pipes in front for easier access is just out of the question; too much trouble and too much to go wrong. :evil:
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389