HDI cloud of black smoke?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

trooper30
My Cars:

HDI cloud of black smoke?

Post by trooper30 »

Strange thing happened with the HDi today that i have no explanation for!
On a duel carriageway at about 75mph and for no reason the revs shot up to 6000 for a few seconds (bearing in mind the limiter don’t let it go past 5k) and a huge cloud of black smoke belched from the exhaust, so much so I couldn’t see the cars behind me. The residue of the smoke disappeared in a few seconds and strangely the car defiantly felt like it had more power and was more responsive than its been in ages.
Then about 10 mile later the same thing happened again, this time there was a strange clicking sound that lasted 2 seconds just before the rpm to 6000k, black smoke again, smoke clears, then car went like a rocket again.

Car sounds fine, oil ok water ok, no overheating or strange smells, no recent additive to the fuel or the like so any thoughts would be appreciated.
2000 Xantia Hdi
2006 Laguna DCi
kraM
My Cars:

Post by kraM »

I don't know the engine, but... a bit of generic advice

Check the crank case breather system, and air filter / air box intake, as if there is a blockage or damaged connector. As you maybe pulling oil into the intake system, hence the high revs, as the engine will not the the rev limit of the fuel pump.

Have you recently topped up the oil, as if it is topped up too fast, some can work its way into the intake system.

If the above is correct, you're bloody lucky it didn't do it on initial start up or in town, as the engine could have 'run away', which means you and everyone else should run away before it goes bang.

Hope this helps,

Mark
2002 Citroen C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive Estate,
1997 Honda Civic v-tec e, never missed a beat (it is a Honda)
1981 VW MK1 Golf GTi :)
1999 Triumph Daytona 955i, now gone ;(
1998 Honda Transalp - in a bid to keep my licence...
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Oil ok, isn’t there too much of it ?
If the oil gets into the cylinder tops, the engine will feed off it and spin out of control.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Without putting the clutch down, how did it reach those revs? Or did you just put the clutch down as you were going along?