Turbo Tantrums ? Cit/Pug + More

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dippy
My Cars:

Turbo Tantrums ? Cit/Pug + More

Post by Dippy »

Just came across this article . explains a lot . thanks to the Pug members here for pointing me in the right direction .

http://www.turbocharger-pro.co.uk/cars/ ... new-turbo/

I wonder how many follow this procedure :shock:
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

My brother changed a Turbo on a pug 1.6HDi recently, and as Pug were paying for it, they insisted on new oil pump and stuff.
To him the interesting bit was the oil filter. The old one was like wire whool stuff. The new one was more like a tea strainer.
Think I'm going to have a huge lsit of things for the garage to do when my service is due.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

However, due to its high operating speeds (230,000 revs per minute) the turbo will usually be the first to show signs of damage. This can happen from 30,000 miles onwards if the oil level and correct oil change intervals/procedure have not been adhered to.
We've got a bunch of 1.6HDi Partners at work - 20,000km service intervals... :roll:

Going by the above quote a 1.6HDi might only have had the oil changed once(or at a stretch, twice) before the turbo starts exhibiting problems. 8-)
ImageImage
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Ross_K wrote:
We've got a bunch of 1.6HDi Partners at work - 20,000km service intervals... :roll:
I think that is the main problem, long services.

Find one which has been serviced yearly or 10K miles and with the right oil and you should be onto a winner ...

I service our two 2.0HDi 138 16vs every 6K miles or 6 months (as I do every car) with the correct Total low sulphur oil and Citroen filters. Before our ownership they had both been done yearly or every 10K miles. Peace of mind.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yet another (as if one was needed) to stick with a pre-2000 vehicle...

Thanks Dippy, very interesting article :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

CitroJim wrote:Yet another (as if one was needed) to stick with a pre-2000 vehicle...

Thanks Dippy, very interesting article :D
No worries Jim , but whoever wrote that article deserves the accolades .
:?: Time to wake up Mr Cynical - again.

Reading between the lines , I would like to wager that this Turbo supplier has had a lot of " repeat" business , got blamed for the succesive failures , and wrote the article to put the record straight .

Having re - read the article a few times , it's all the other parts that may be compromised that's the real worrier .

Although I have no personal experience of more modern engines , I have to wonder if it's all the FAP - EGR garbage that are choking the engines to death ? why would a low oil level cause " carboning up " otherwise ?

I'm certainly no scientist , but I was taught that a vapour will rise in temperature exponentially - as opposed to a liquid . all other things being equal .

Does this equate to a higher than tolerable ( for these engines) level of oil vapour / liquid oil ratio ?

Again IMHO , I'd wager a dime on a dead donkey that in the halcyon days of old fashioned, -honest - to - goodness crankcase breathers , this issue would never arise in the first place .

" They don't make em' like they used to " may become the I.C engines epitaph ...........R.I.P :cry:
Ross_K
2004 Toyota Prius

Post by Ross_K »

Isn't this kinda the reason BMW give you five years free servicing on some models?

People were buying ex-lease "approved" beemers and having major engine problems - the first owner usually never changed the oil again after he got the bill for the first oil change, leading to all kinds of fun. :lol:

ImageImage
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yuk :shock:

What's that white stuff Ross?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Wow, this picture should be stuck on every car somewhere ... some people dont even check their oil level, let alone get it changed :shock:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Ross_K
2004 Toyota Prius

Post by Ross_K »

CitroJim wrote:Yuk :shock:

What's that white stuff Ross?
Dunno. Just the reflection from the camera flash I think.

Not my photo BTW, I found it in a thread on a BMW forum last year. The oil hadn't been changed in 40,000 miles... :yikes:

edit: Here's the link to the thread with more photos: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... ?t=1281659
ImageImage
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

They don't call me Dippy fer nowt - old luv. :wink:

Years past I have been involved with warranty claims for various Marques : including Vw , Volvo , Scania + M.B

Number one issue was lube'

Wrong Oil, Low Oil , High Oil , Old Oil & F--K all Oil in some cases .

In every case the oil residue was sent for analysys to the manufacturer in the first instance. who used an independant Lab for testing.

Some " professional " customers used to bugger their neglected engines up , take it down to the local garage for an oil change ( or do it themselves) then bring it into the dealership as a warranty claim ! little were they aware that this too can be analysed .

Never ever have I come across any of the above manufacturers attempt to deny responsibility for a genuine failure.

I did have the misfortune to work for one Premier Car dealership that regularly charged customers for Mobil-1 but were actually receiving a very much cheaper product , nuff said.
Ross_K
2004 Toyota Prius

Post by Ross_K »

Dippy wrote:I did have the misfortune to work for one Premier Car dealership that regularly charged customers for Mobil-1 but were actually receiving a very much cheaper product , nuff said.
I thought that was standard practice, and not just at main dealers.
ImageImage
Dippy
My Cars:

Re: Turbo Tantrums ? Cit/Pug + More

Post by Dippy »

Dippy wrote:Just came across this article . explains a lot . thanks to the Pug members here for pointing me in the right direction .

http://www.turbocharger-pro.co.uk/cars/ ... new-turbo/

I wonder how many follow this procedure :shock:
Reading can be a dangerous pastime - it implies intelligence.... :wink:

If yer think a 1.6 hoody can give grief ? try changing a L.R one ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SS:GB:1123

Que - Saxon " run for the hills " :shock: