V6 hydraulic pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

V6 hydraulic pump

Post by lexi »

I have fixed the usual leak on mk. 11 Xantia pump at the top where union and pipe go into the valve plug. There is a drain plug? at the bottom of pump.

It has a 19 mm hex head. Mine seems to be leaking and dropping into alternator. I will butcher a spanner and weld an extension to it so that I have a chance of tightening it in situ.You cannot get a ring or even a crows foot on it as it is against air compressor.

Thing is that in the drawing there is no sealing ring shown. Can anyone who has had pump on bench clarify this. Someone may suggest just takng pump off but may do that at later date.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi lexi,

I can confirm the lower 19mm hex has the same seal as the upper one with the delivery pipe.

You won't get it out though with out removing the pump or the alternator :twisted:

I've been here and thought mine was leaking from the same place. In the end it was just that the lower plug is the lowest point of the pump and LHM collects here from wherever the source of the leak happens to be.

In my case the leak was a tiny split in the rubber stub pipe on the pump inlet pipe; the short length of rubber before it joins with the corrugated plastic pipe.

An easy way to tell, wrap a piece of white absorbent paper around the bottom of the stub pipe and in contact with the pump body and then go for a spin. If it's green stained at the end of the spin then there's your problem.

In my case the split really was tiny and right under the jubilee clip.

Here it was after it really split!!!

The pump is surprisingly easy to remove... No, it really is not as hard as it looks!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

All LHM pumps are quite easy to remove, though, I realise the V6 one is slightly obscured by the front Cam Banks...

I took mine off when the front end was all off..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Thanks Jim/Paul
I have put a piece of copper sheet under the plug and jammed against pump body and it does collect green blood. I did suspect it may be coming from elswhere as it is more than a weep..........your pipe theory is a likely one.

Got a rundown of pump removal? I will remove belt first today as it needs changing .

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Forgot I have a Haynes manual here which cover it mostly.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

lexi wrote:Forgot I have a Haynes manual here which cover it mostly.
What??? For the V6??? Surely not.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The V6 pump comes out easily after removing the ECU box and the pump pulley. It's bolted on...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Thanks Jim. I have just came in. 2 hrs standing on one leg is my limit :lol:

Was just going to ask if ecu then pump pulley was best way...........That will do for me. Will order a new sealing ring for main pump as I have the others Cleaned the hose feed area and ran it ............doesn't seem to be that so onwards and upwards.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

No worries Lexi :D

Procedure is this: Not so different from any other Xantia really...

ECU box out complete, aux belt off, unbolt pulley and let it flop. There's just not quite enough room to remove it totally just yet.

Undo the P clips on both hydraulic pipes that rau along the front of the engine.

Remove all pipes from the pump.

The pump is held into its cradle by a 13mm bolt at the top which is accessible from going in along the top of the exhaust manifold. It's hard to see so feel for it or use a small mirror to see where it is! A 1/4" drive socket on the end of an extension and universal joint is handy for it...

Lower bolt is a through bolt with an Allen head on the pump pulley end and a 13mm nut on the other. Remove the nut, pull the bolt a ways out and the pump can then be lifted out of its cradle and carefully fiddled out. Once the pump is loose in the cradle the pulley can then be removed completely.

Reassembly is a reversal of disassembly...
Jim

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Thanks Jim.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Pump came out today as you said Jim. Will renew all washers on it.

Is there a P/N for that little hose.......or did you just cut a bit from a scrap CIT one? Mine looks ok mind.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

lexi wrote: Is there a P/N for that little hose.......or did you just cut a bit from a scrap CIT one? Mine looks ok mind.
No, I don't think there is Lexi. It's a the whole pipe. Also, the V6 pump has a bigger intake spigot compared to any other pump so your choice of donor pipe will be limited.

I rescued one from a spare pipe I have here but an ideal substitute will be a short length of silicone hose; the stuff the show'n'shine brigade use to tart up their Paxos and Polos..

Xac and I have proved it is LHM-proof and it's pretty flexible too....

Be careful if you try using any other sort of rubber as I only know for certain that unleaded fuel hose is LHM proof and for the size of spigot it's both shockingly expensive and too thick-walled. You'd never get a jubilee clip on it and snug on the pump body.
Jim

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Job done and pump is dry now. Thanks again. Got new MOT as well.

Goes well this car. Will post some pics up.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2