CD Radio Not Working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete@co.uk
My Cars:

CD Radio Not Working

Post by pete@co.uk »

hi again

i had my c5 fully valeted when i first brought it last week since then when i put the radio on it sounds like the aeriel is unplugged it was working before it was valeted

any idea,s guys

Pete.........
Drives
51 Reg Citroen C5 SX 2.0 16v
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Could just be off tune, have you tried retuning it?

Peter
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: CD Radio Not Working

Post by wheeler »

pete@co.uk wrote: it sounds like the aeriel is unplugged
Have you checked that it is actually plugged in ??
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi Peter N

Yes i have tried retuning it but with no joy it just keeps hissing

Hi Wheeler
You could be right but as i said it was working before i had it valeted i was thinking maybe i should remove the radio and take a look beheind it BUT there is evidence that someone has been messing with the roof ariel becouse the headling at the back of the car has been disturbed for some reason and i dont know how the ariel is connected or removed or how to check this as ive never done one

any help here is apprecited

Pete .............................
Drives
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

They suffer from water ingress through the antenna base, there's some electronics in there that suffer from being wet.

Looks as though yours has had that problem and someone has checked it out and possibly not resealed it correctly.
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi Myglaren

Thanks for your reply Does this mean i need a New antenna or is there something else i can do about it to get it working

Pete.............
Drives
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

If its anything like Renault Megane Scenic's then its a case of taking the antenna off the roof and putting some sealant arount the screw hole where the water gets in and then screwing the antenna back down to seal it. A hair dryer to dry the electric components off before sealing it up wouldn't go amiss either.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It isn't actually the antenna that is the problem, it is water ingress into the powered base, all sorts of stuff in there and if it has been water damaged then it will need replacing, perhaps a scrapyard can provide one.

I haven't had my antenna in place for three years, took it off to run through a car was and never replaced it. I did, after a year or so, plug the thread with Vaseline to prevent corrosion but haven't replaced the antenna as I very rarely use the radio but it still works fine - TA and RDS both cut in on the CD quite effectively.

Either way you will need to remove that base and examine it. If it can be dried out then fine, may be advisable to spray it with some lacquer to prevent any further water damage but I can't recommend one as some may use solvents that will damage the pcb.

We used to dip ours in a varnish but have been known to bodge test instruments by flooding them with silicon sealant.

The base will need a new gasket on refitting and as SAABC5 says, a smear of silicon sealant won't hurt.
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi Myglaren And thanks For The Reply

Now i have one more question how do i remove the antenna i have had a mess around this afternoon and everything seems dry under the roof lining and i can feel the wires there after removing the back interior light but were is the powered base is it attached to the Ariel or is it that part that sits on the roof with the Ariel attached ?. I Also took the radio out to make sure everything was plugged in ok there and it was

Pete.................
Drives
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have never had to access mine - see above - but removal of the headlining is I understand a requirement - I believe that it can be eased away from the tailgate end with care and you can reach in and detach it from there - I'm sure someone else will have a better description of the process.
I'm sure one of the other members replaced his fairly recently - this year anyway.

IIRC it is impossible to see and has to be done purely by touch. There should be two screws holding it in place that are a bit of a nightmare to replace working blind.

The inside bit effectively holds the outside bit in place.

Not certain of the actual location of the electronics but inside rather than in the domed section on the exterior. There is a GPS antenna and an aerial amplifier in there, among other things and the wiring leading to it has a power supply for the amplifier as well as the usual aerial lead.
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi Myglaren

Thanks for that I've Just been thinking is the Supply to the Antenna Fused As The Radio was working ok when i got the car last week but stopped after i had it fully Valeted and as it goes there is an on-board sat nav but i don't have the disc

Cheers

Pete..............
Drives
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi All

Ive just had another thought about this when i removed the radio today i noticed the wires behind the radio had been joined now I'm thinking is this part of the problem because Ive been studying the cars wiring diagram and there,s a feed to the antenna amplifier from the back of the radio now if the wire has been not been joined there properly and not making connection and not powering the amplifier this could be were the fault lies ill have to check this out.
Ive also been searching the net and Ive found a picture of the antenna out of the car so now i know whats in there i feel a little bit more confident now tackling the problem as if one moment its working then its not there could be a connection problem

ill let you all know how i get on

Pete.................
Drives
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

On mine, at least, the amp's powered via the downlead, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were variations.
You can remove the antenna base by reaching through the interior light aperture - there's a large nut holding the whole lot on. It's not too hard to remove, but very fiddly to realign everything whilst starting the nut using the fingertips of one hand :?
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

Hi All

Well I Tried My After-market Cd Radio In the Car Today And it works fine so it turns out its the original Citroen radio itself that's at fault not the Ariel after all so i might have to fit my after-market one in the original went wrong after i had the car fully valeted as it was working before

The only problem with the after-market radio is i don't get all the display on the main screen sure i get the clock trip computer and the sat nav but nothing for the radio so it looks like ive got to ether search for another radio or just get a fitting kit for my other cd radio and put that in so its my choice ............ but i think i read somewhere that i cant fit another Citroen radio in because of the coding correct me if im wrong

Pete.....................
Last edited by pete@co.uk on 04 Aug 2011, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
Drives
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

It might be the radio at fault, but don't forget that the original set 'expects' an amplified signal from the antenna, while most aftermarket models will be quite a lot more sensitive, and won't mind the lack of an amp.