C5 Rear passenger door wont unlock

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Keith77

Re: C5 Rear passenger door wont unlock

Post by Keith77 »

Anyone help me with this (previous post)??

Thanks.
Keith77

Post by Keith77 »

Well hello again. Not sure anyone will read this thread, didn't get any response last time out(!) but thought i'd give a little update anyway, and thank previous posters in the thread for their valuable information which ultimately helped a lot and saved another trip to the garage.
Had the rear door jammed shut for a couple of months, and during that time someone decided to bash into my front passenger door outside my house then scarper without telling anyone, leaving a substantial dent in the door and made irrepairable damage to the wing mirror..... nice.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, I had already almost given up on finding anything at a breakers yard as none seemed to have any xantias....until the day when by chance I passed a local yard I had completely forgotten about(where I laid my first ever car to rest many a year ago) and decided to pop in. Would you believe it - not just a xantia - but a mk2, 1.8 16v forte same as mine, and even in the same colour!! My luck was in. One day and £35 later, with a door lock mech, door handle and nearside wing mirror in the boot I returned home and onto this forum to see if it was worth me having another bash at the door lock before fitting my shiny new wing mirror (I had taken it to the garage months ago after giving up myself, and they couldn't open it either. Told me to return when I had a spare lock so they could break/drill it).
Anyway, I did it. Took less time than I thought as well. Following the advice of rmunns and Pete.co.uk I removed the door handle by removing the nut behind the window guide(quite a squeeze, even after bending it out of the way as much as possible) and it just pops out quite easily. From there you get a clear view of the lock mech, and all I did was prize the bottom half of the plastic open with a flathead screwdriver after removal of the small screw at bottom of plastic (nearest you). This reveals the metal innards of the lock, and with the smallest bit of pressure I heard a click, tried to cable which connects to the inner door handle, and the door opened!
After this I opened and closed the door/lock a number of times without it failing again, and was wondering whether to actually bother replacing the lock completely when it jammed again. So new lock it was. A bit fiddly,but I found the easiest way to do it was to bend the thin bit of metal on which the door handle sits(and screws into) down and away creating a larger space to take the lock out of. Then insert the new lock, and before screwing it in place clip the cables/rods into the little plastic guides and plug in the CL connector(a torch comes in handy here). Then with the lock pushed forward (away from the end of door wheere it is screwed in place) so it is just visible through the door handle hole, bend the piece of metal right back up and re insert the handle itself making sure the spring levered section clips on top of the metal lock arm. If you have already screwed the lock in place this will not be possible! Once you are sure it is in the right place, screw the lock into the door.
I had problems re-attaching the rods at the other end, and even now the inside push/pull door lock isn't as effective as it should be, and for some reason the CL doesn't work on this door anymore (any ideas would be great) But at least the door opens and closes and locks manually ok. And the wing mirror is a big bonus.

The only problem is: I was only really tidying it up to sell it on, as no-one wants to buy a car where the door doesn't open! - it's been a great workhorse for us over the years and mechanically it's a gem - but it is expense to run - tax especially. Thing is, now it is a bit tidier again, and I have spent my own time lovingly working on it, I'm not sure I want to sell it anymore...I'm emotionally attached!

Thanks again to all the posters who have contributed to solving this issue. Information is power.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Don't think just because no-one's replied, that we've not read your posts.

More likely we haven't first hand experience to be able to help sort the problem on your specific vehicle. Your write up will help someone in the future when they have the same problem as you had :)

Anyway, well done on persevering and fixing the locks - Martin
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
JungleJim
New User
My Cars: Citroen C5 2003

Have owned 2CV (x2) Visa and Old Citroen H Van

Post by JungleJim »

Hi

I thought I would contribute to this as I have just replaced a jammed lock on my 2003 Citroen C5 Rear Passenger Door.
This was jammed locked shut, so I had to start off from inside the car.

I bought a replacement from e-bay. (Cost £12 inc post) The locks are "Handed" so check whether N/S or O/S before you buy.

I took off the inside handles and speaker from the door card. You need to get a TORX set to remove these.
I opened the window, levered off the corner piece from the top rear corner and was able to loosen the door card by leaning through the open window.
I left this in the car so I did not have to disconnect the speaker wires.
I closed the window, then removed the single nut holding the door handle retaining assembly from the inside.
When the nut is off this metal assembly can be slid towards the front of the car and removed, allowing the door handle to be pulled out.
Do this carefully and remove the actuator rod from the lock itself.
The lock was still jammed so I got a metal screwdriver and smashed it in with a hammer to split the lock apart.
I then poked around randomly inside the broken lock until it released something and I could open the door.
(VERY CRUDE, BUT THE LOCK WAS U/S ANYWAY)
I undid the 3 TORX screws holding the lock into the door.

I ALSO UNDID A TORX SCREW LOWER DOWN HOLDING THE BOTTOM OF THE WINDOW GUIDE
(This allows you some wriggle room to remove and replace the lock itself)

I removed the old lock, disconnecting the internal wire catch from the internal opening handle, and the electrics plug.
I connected the "NEW" lock to the electrics and internal catch and worked it back into place and secured it with TORX screws.
I checked it worked without closing the door by putting a bit of metal in place of the door frame catch.
Now its a case of reassembling, starting by resecuring the TORX nut to the bottom of the window guide.
I resecured the external door handle connector to the new lock (Tricky)
The only part I needed help with, was putting the door handle retaining assembly back on to secure the outside door handle.
I guess you could do it on your own but it is very fiddly, and one doing the fiddling and the other moving the external handle as directed seemed
to work quite well.
It took me about 2 hours and 3 skinned knuckles but with patience I think most people could manage it.

Good Luck !!
JungleJim