poor starting 2.0 hdi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johntom

poor starting 2.0 hdi

Post by johntom »

Hi
my van is having problems starting particularly when it has been run, then left for a 10 minutes or so. Today i left it for about 15 minutes after a 10 mile journey, when i tried to restart it fired up straight away but cut out after a second or two. This same thing happened for the next 10 tries until it finally kept running. Touching the accelerator doesn't make any difference ?
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

A couple of thoughts come to mind, one being the fuel pump in the fuel tank (although I believe that when it fails the engine won't even start) can you hear it running just prior to starting? Quite often you can get it to run by thumping the underside of the tank. If that is the source of the problem replace it and the fuel filter plus possibly the filter housing asap because when the pumps fail they disintegrate and dump small metal particles in the fuel system, which wrecks the main pump and injectors.

Another possibility could be the fuel pressure regulator or at least the electric connection to it, the regulator is a round device looking like a large temperature sensor situated on the main fuel rail around about the centre position, give the connection a wiggle and if that solves the problem obviously clean up the connection points/spray electric contact cleaner on them. Similarly the electric connection on the main fuel pump (hangs down at 90° on the back of the pump) is worth a wiggle test as per the pressure regulator.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
johntom

Post by johntom »

Hi
I tried wriggling both connectors but neither seemed loose. The pressure regulator on the fuel rail does look newer than the rail so maybe that's been replaced before ?
I had removed the top off the filter housing but don't recall seeing any metal particles, I will look again.
The van started first time after replacing the plug connectors but usually does when cold, I will run it tomorrow and see what happens.
Can I test the regulators ?
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

johntom wrote:Can I test the regulators ?
AFAIK only with a Lexia, whereabouts are you as you may have a member nearby who can help you with that.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH