General

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jez

General

Post by Jez »

I have a Xantia L Reg Turbo D. Only had 2 weeks and head gasket gone. Before it went there was a light that came on that was not in the manual. It was orange and it was above the Handbrake light I believe. It was heart like shape with a tube to the left and right with would would look like half full of water. How much should i expect to pay for the replacement for a head gasket.
Also I have a ZX1.9d - 168k in good nick - what sort of price should I ask for - Any help would be appreciated.
acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

On my car Xantia 1.9 TDSX that light means there is water in the Diesel, the sensor is under the diesel filter.
John
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Could this have been the cause of the problem..
eg.. so much water that can't be held in the filter, eventually gets into the cylinder and doesn't compress, leading to much higher compression ( and resitance ) of what air there is in the cylinder(s), and finding the gasket as the weakest available exit point ???
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think water in the diesel fuel is simply likley to stop the engine and knacker the pump. I flooded a tractor (with a CAV pump) many years ago through using fuel that had been kept outside in round type drums with the old spring type lid and after draining, bleeding and cleaning up it went again with no ill afftects. The tractor is still used ocasionally and has had no attention in the intervening 25 or so years.
I'm sure that the engine wouldn't recieve enough water to damage it as there is only one small pumping sectionin the pump and so all cylinders would be fed water and the engine would stop immediately. If the water was left in the pump it will of course damage it through non-lubrication and corrosion.
Jez - If you are lucky your damage will be confined to the head gasket. Some of these heads are notorious for cracking through general old age rather than overheating and although I understand they were strengthened by increasing the thickness I don't know when this was done. the head should be examined for cracks very carefully when it is off.
jeremy