Is it a gear problem - xantia + al4 ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

atr
My Cars: Xantia 2.0l 16v 2001 petrol
C5 mkII 2.0l petrol sx pack 2007
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Is it a gear problem - xantia + al4 ?

Post by atr »

Hi
Yesterday, the two lights of the "S" and the snow flake on my 2001 petrol xantia began to flash and the led that shows the selector position ran from position to another, I think it was that way for an hour or two. today, when I've started the car, it was as it didn't happend at all. no lights and normal.
let me also point that when the lights were on, the car ride was completly normal. could that be some sort of electric malfunction or is it an indication of a gear problem? but if that's the case, why doesn't it shows today?
Thanks.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The S and Snow lights alternately flashing certainly indicates that the gearbox ECU has detected a fault condition.

Just what it is though is impossible to say without checking the ECU using a Lexia diagnostic tool to read out any stored faults.

As the car performed normally it couldn't have been much otherwise the gearbox would have gone into third gear emergency (limp home) mode.

A possible cause is the oil wear counter has tripped. It will give a similar indication to what you saw to indicate it's time for an oil change and a counter reset. Both operations require the use of a Lexia diagnostic tool.

If it was the oil counter then it will happen again as a further reminder.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mlkey

Post by mlkey »

Sounds like the oil wear counter is telling you to change the transmission oil, and then you will need to reset the counter with a Lexia. If you do the oil change yourself, you should do a double flush as approximately half of the oil is retained in the torque converter etc. When I did mine, I needed 3 litres per change.

There is a fairly exact procedure to do this, let me know if you need the details.

Regards,

Mikey.
atr
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Post by atr »

If that's the case, I intend to do it myself, so any additional info will be a great help since I've never done it before.
Btw - the car has made ca. 230k km.
mlkey

Post by mlkey »

Hi,

If you intend to do it yourself, and if you have access to a Lexia, I would suggest checking the oil wear counter first just in case it is something else.

To change the oil:

Ensure the vehicle is level, and that there is enough clearance underneath for a container to collect the old oil.

Run the vehicle and get things nice and warm, then turn off the engine and locate the transmission drain plug. It is in two parts. The outer part needs to be removed to perform an oil change, only the inner part is removed when checking the level.

Remove the drain plug by undoing the outer part, and leave the oil to drain for a while.

Once the oil has stopped draining, refit the drain plug (with a new gasket washer unless you decide you will perform a second flush, in which case replace it then).

Locate the oil filler hole and remove the plug. NOTE: Be very sure to remove the correct plug, as there is one nearby which if undone, results in the transmission having to be removed.

Fill the transmission with 3 litres of AL4 oil obtainable from the dealers at around £10 per litre, do not use anything else as it will damage the transmission.

Refit the the filler plug and start the engine. Do not drive the vehicle, but warm it through thoroughly, working the transmission through all the gears. I increased the RPM to 1500 in each gear position while holding the vehicle on the brakes, for about 15 seconds at a time. This helps to get the transmission nice and hot.

When you are satisfied everything is up to temperature, and with the vehicle in P, and the engine still running, you are ready to check the level.

The transmission oil is supposed to be checked when at a temperature of between 58c and 68c. I purchased a little temperature probe for this purpose.

Undo the centre part of the drain plug.

The oil is supposed to come out like you would expect from a slow tap, and slowly reduce to a dribble, and then a drip. You should refit the level plug at this time.

If no oil, or only a dribble comes out when you remove the plug, you should refit the plug, stop the engine, add 0.5L, and then commence with the warm up process again. When I did mine, I got about 0.5L out during the level check.

Remember that the above procedure has only changed approximately half of the oil in the transmission. I would recommend driving it for a day or two, and then changing the oil a second time. Reset the oil wear counter when you have finished the oil changes.

Here is a link to a document explaining the procedure in more detail: http://www.eastment.net/forum/al4%20oil%20change.pdf

Regards,

Mikey.
atr
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Post by atr »

Thanks for the detaild information. I've checked in the car's"history", the gear oil was changed at 75k km, that means about 150k km ago. seems logical that it has to be changed again.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mikey, that really is an excellent guide and explanation :D

Don't forget that you can read the gearbox oil temperature using the Lexia. You need it to reset the oil wear counter anyway so you'd may as well use it to get the temperature right...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
atr
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Re: Is it a gear problem - xantia + al4 ?

Post by atr »

As I wrote at the beginnig of my thread - the lights were flashing for a while and then stopped. so I left it as it was. a couple of weeks ago the a/c and the blower stopped to work. odd as it may sound - after replacing a burnt cable and a relay - the a/c & blower are working again an the gear warning lights dont flash anymore.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Is it a gear problem - xantia + al4 ?

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent :-D

So I guess you never changed the gearbox oil then? I would, just to be on the safe side...
Jim