Hydraulic Leak!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DublinChris
My Cars: 1998 Series 2 - 1.9TD owned from '98 216,000+ miles
Previously BX19DTR, BX19TD, BX19TZD

Hydraulic Leak!

Post by DublinChris »

:cry: For the first time in my memory my 1998 Series 2 Xantia has developed a leak. Have had car since 1998.

bright green LHM fluid dripping off the back of the sub frame on drivers side.

It developed last week after I had topped up the reservoir. Last Sunday I was doing a general check over car and the yellow disc was below min mark so I topped it up so that disc was at top mark. Noticed a patch under car by wednesday. As luck would have it it was due for MOT yesterday and failed due to leak. Examiner seemed to refer to the offside front and steering as issue. Initially when I discovered the leak on wednesday I thought I might have over filled so I drew off some fluid to bring the lower yellow disc down nearer to lower mark - all this with car on full height.

Just wondering if there is any definite suspect point I can look at that would account for the leak in this area?

Car previously had the flushing agent in before new LHM put in last year.

Thanks in advance for any help.

DublinChris
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Fluid level would not be related to the leak, it's just coincidence. More than likely the height corrector.
Last edited by HDI on 17 Jul 2011, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
DublinChris

Hydraulic Leak

Post by DublinChris »

HDI wrote:Fluid level would not be related to the leak, it's just coincidence. More that likely the height corrector.
Thanks for the info on fluid level. The height corrector is that located in the area that I described where leak appears to be? Back of engine drivers side?.
Is this a common leak area?
Would it be a seal or connection or the unit itself?
:?
DublinChris
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Hi, Location you have described matches to steering pinion valve leak.
In a RHD car it's very close to front height corrector.
You don't have to buy a new valve but just the repair kit.

If you make a search in FCF with words "steering pinion valve" you'll find threads.
As far as I remember CitroJim has a how-to-guide for this.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Apologies, I read that as the REAR subframe !

The area you describe is more likely to be as mentioned above :wink:
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

No problems HDI :wink: Have you done this job?
I had this problem once during winter and I had it repaired.
I guess it has to be removed from the car and seals changed.

Here is a link with some pics from Xantia Blogspot by John ---> valve
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
DublinChris

Post by DublinChris »

VertVega wrote:Hi, Location you have described matches to steering pinion valve leak.
In a RHD car it's very close to front height corrector.
You don't have to buy a new valve but just the repair kit.

If you make a search in FCF with words "steering pinion valve" you'll find threads.
As far as I remember CitroJim has a how-to-guide for this.
Thanks again good info as always! Starting to see the light.

HDI no worries thanks for initial contribution all helps with understanding of how it all works. Up to this car would have gone to dealer but the way finances are now I have to look at the lowest cost options.

Following MOT they also picked up on a pass side front wheel bearing and worn track rod ends so couple of things to be sorted before retest just trying to keep the bills down.

DublinChris :cry:
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

VertVega wrote:No problems HDI :wink: Have you done this job?
I had this problem once during winter and I had it repaired.
I guess it has to be removed from the car and seals changed.

Here is a link with some pics from Xantia Blogspot by John ---> valve
I haven't but without the car on a 2 post lift I reckon it would be impossible.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The pinion valve can be changed in-situ with the car on axle stands. It's a supreme fiddle but no need to remove the rack. As long as the car is SUPPORTED VERY FIRMLY high enough off the deck so you can lie comfortably under there's no problem.

I know this to be the case as Xac and I have done an in-situ pinion valve swap on his 1.9TD. Somewhere I've written a bit about it but not sure where now. Chris, As soon as you confirm it's the pinion valve (easy as it will be very obvious) and if you need, I can post up some more concise guidance.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DublinChris

Post by DublinChris »

CitroJim wrote:The pinion valve can be changed in-situ with the car on axle stands. It's a supreme fiddle but no need to remove the rack. As long as the car is SUPPORTED VERY FIRMLY high enough off the deck so you can lie comfortably under there's no problem.

I know this to be the case as Xac and I have done an in-situ pinion valve swap on his 1.9TD. Somewhere I've written a bit about it but not sure where now. Chris, As soon as you confirm it's the pinion valve (easy as it will be very obvious) and if you need, I can post up some more concise guidance.
Cheers for all that. Did a search on your posts and picked up some info. Will be getting it up on ramp later in week to try confirm position.

The leak started out of the blue (green!) during the week and sometimes ground is dry under car and other times leaves small amount on ground.
Unfortunately it was evident to examiner yesterday - he did refer to rack and pinion/power steering as the fail point so obviously knew what to look for.

DublinChris
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Do yourself a favour and make doubly sure it's not just the return hose failing. Mine did.
DublinChris

Post by DublinChris »

:D Will do. Hope to get car up on ramp later in week and check this all out. Would be good to find it is just that. 8-)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:Do yourself a favour and make doubly sure it's not just the return hose failing. Mine did.
Chris, what Addo is referring to here is the functional return line from the pinion valve back to the LHM reservoir. It does not carry a lot of pressure but it carries a high volume of LHM. It begins as a metal pipe from the pinion valve and then joins to a rubber pipe a little way along. It's possible for the rubber pipe to perish where it joins the metal pipe and if so, cracks will be seen on the rubber pipe where it is stretched by the 'barb' on the metal pipe.

It os very easy to check the pinion valve. No need to ramp the car (in fact this will make it harder to see). Just jack up and SUPPORT, pop off the front drivers side wheel and look in under the wheelarch at the pinion valve just above the rack where the steering column joins. In the pinion valve is leaky, LHM will be clearly seen on top of it running down the side.

New valves are hideously expensive. Pleiades will however recondition your present one for a reasonable fee.

If the functional return pipe is split then that's not such a bad job. Access is a bit of fun but you should be able to splice in a new piece of pipe. Use only pipe that's rated for unleaded petrol as a replacement. LHM can attack some types of rubber very viciously but unleaded fuel line is fine, as is, from experiments carried out, silicone pipe.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Also check the Doseur valve (equivalent to a brake master cylinder) on the bulkhead behind the engine - the 2 return pipes have a habit of perishing. In which case you'll see LHM running down the bulkhead, and dripping off the sub-frame.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
DublinChris

Post by DublinChris »

:) Thanks again will be getting it up on ramp next week for good look :D