ZX radio

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xsarahdi

ZX radio

Post by Xsarahdi »

As I have already mentioned in another thread I recently got a Peugeot 306 which had a few issues. One of them was the radio had some interference so I went about trying to fix that. To test whether it was the radio or the car I put the radio from the ZX into the 306 and visa versa.

After doing this I determined that the 306 radio was faulty as it was doing the same fault in both cars but I noticed that the ZX radio didn’t work properly in the 306 either. A friend had an aftermarket radio spare for me that I have put in the 306 and that works perfectly so the 306 problem was just the head unit itself.

I put the ZX radio back in the ZX and to my surprise it now doesn’t work in the ZX now. It has a hissing noise every few seconds, loses its code every time it is switched off and will lose the code whilst on after a few minutes. Could the 306 have done this damage to the ZX radio or the 306 radio done damage to the ZX wiring? Is it the difference in radios (wiring etc)?

I sourced a replacement ZX radio off eBay assuming mine had blown something by swapping it between cars. This replacement was put in and has exactly the same fault as the original one!

Does this mean it is a problem somewhere in the car or just by chance I have bought a radio with the same issue?

Sorry this is so confusing but I hope someone can shine some light on this for me as the ZX has to be used without a radio which is getting quite annoying.

I look foward to hearing your thoughts on the issue.

Thanks
2005 C3 1.6 HDi 110 VTR
2003 Xsara 2.0 HDi 110 SX
1999 306 1.9 TD Meridian
1996 ZX 1.9 D Elation
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

It could be bad electrical connections, e.g. 12V or earth. That would explain the radio losing its code (if the 12V connection was intermittent). It would also explain the intermittent nature of the faults, and the fact that the fault appears to move from radio to radio/car to car. The contacts may have been ok until you unplugged the connector, but disturbing old connectors can sometimes lead to problems, if they've lost their springiness.

I would check for dirty or oxidised contacts where the connector connects to the radio. Check if any spring contacts have lost their springiness. Have any contacts broken off?

I once had a connector for a radio aerial, in which the centre pin fell out. It worked, but had very bad reception.

Paul
Xsarahdi

Post by Xsarahdi »

Thanks for the response. Sorry I have taken a while to get back to you.

I have finally got time to look at the contacts and they look ok. I have also checked the voltage and get 12v across certain pins even when the key hasn't been turned to battery on (the red light flashes on it so there is power there when the car is off). When the battery is on should all the pins on the power cable have 12v?

This is really driving me mad now but I don't want to waste more money on another radio only to find out is doesn't work. Is there anything else to check?
2005 C3 1.6 HDi 110 VTR
2003 Xsara 2.0 HDi 110 SX
1999 306 1.9 TD Meridian
1996 ZX 1.9 D Elation