1.9 TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mongoose100
My Cars:

1.9 TD

Post by mongoose100 »

Hi all,
My grandfather is currently driving around with 100% WVO, that is until last night when she decided to stop on side of motorway! :shock:

Went to look at it today, thinking it might have a blocked fuel filter - was greeted with the primer bulb completely sucked in. My thoughts are that there is a blockage between that and the tank, haven't looked further into it because of the lovely stormy weather that we're currently having :evil:

Does this sound like the strainer in the tank being blocked?
Also, would I do more harm than good if I was to blow compressed air down the fuel lines from the bulb to the tank???

Thanks in advance!
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6
1994 Citroën Xantia 1.9TD
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Regan,

You may find the tankl strainer is blocked up totally. It's quite accessible after removing the big rubber bung under the back sat and undoing the ring that holdids in the pickup assembly and gauge sender in the tank.

You may also find the return line back to the tank is choked too.

Often when running veggie 'things' grow on the strainer. John (jgra1) has a lovely picture of a whole new life-form growing on his.

It may just be the filter plugged but it's al ways worth a check of the tank strainer...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mongoose100
My Cars:

Post by mongoose100 »

Hi ya Jim, Just been given bad news! The thing has had the fuel filter out for the last 500ks! Dont know how or why but Grandpa just found the thing in the boot! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Is this when I pray that the stainer is blocked, or does it suddenly sound far more sinister!?!?!?
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6
1994 Citroën Xantia 1.9TD
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The strainer being blocked up looks to be the obvious cause, I'd pull the assembly out of the tank and investigate/remove the sludge (it's not a difficult/long task) rather than blow it back into the tank as all you're doing there is delaying the inevitable for when it happens again.

This is what I found on one a few years ago.

13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH