Turbo '99 HDi Exclusive Waistegate solenoid

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Edhertz
(Donor 2022)
My Cars:

Turbo '99 HDi Exclusive Waistegate solenoid

Post by Edhertz »

Hello everyone,
I've got a couple of questions regarding the operation of the turbo operating solenoid. I've just come back from Brittany in 'get home mode'.
This is because the car backfired on a hill on the way back and left me with a warning light and no power above say 1800 rpm.Got home to UK ok with great fuel comsumption but no turbo. Lexia reported 'Low turbo pressure' and has been reset with no further problems. Subsequent investigation has revealed that the signal to the wastegate turbo solenoid (10v) does not drop off at around 1800rpm to enable the turbo to come in. Is there a duff sensor somewhere causing this or is the ECU shot? Either way I'm left with plenty of back smoke and reduced revs. All pipe work sound and good healthy vacuum. Am I in the right area? Any help much appreciated. Thanks
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Hi,
Ive just been through this process of a Non Working turbo on a 1999 HDi 110.

I EVEN swapped the turbo to a known working unit as I been told the old one was duff..

Anyway, the only thing that controls the turbo operation is one of the Small Vacum solinoid valves over by the Cam belt cover.. theres two of them, one for the EGR valve the other for the turbo wasegate... however, it appears the valve doesn't just control the waste gate but also "Wakes" the turbo up for operation.. I ran the engine with the exhaust off as that was ALSO blocked, and as soon as I fitted a working vac valve I could hear the turbo spin up with that normal "Whistle" sound...

So thats all that controls the turbo.. Driveing the car back from France without a turbo and there for no full power, could very well now have blocked your Cat up now. Because once I had the turbo confirmed working I reconnected the exhaust back up and then found the car would NOT rev, and it poured black smoke out the back, and then wanted to die.

So for you, Id look at swapping those Vac solinoids, they are only around 30 quid each, I was lucky to have working ones lieing around, get new ones fited and then consider then if the exhaust is blocked up a little.

I cut the cat out and welded a straight throuh in, as DERVs dont nreally need a cat, the HDi's are so advanced they still pass the smoke tests.

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Edhertz
(Donor 2022)
My Cars:

Post by Edhertz »

Hi Paul
Thanks for reply. I think I've sorted the problem. I found a split in the turbo pipe (2 inches long) not that obvious as it was towards the underside of the pipe. Hence no power and Lexia message ‘Low inlet boost pressure’, or something like it. I've got it bandaged up with duct tape at the moment and will try to source one from a scrapper. Hear what you say re the cat and exposure to soot / bad combustion products and modification. I’ll have to see how it goes, but plenty of poke now and a puff of smoke when I put my toe down, hoping this is just clearing out the soot. I have checked both solenoids and am satisfied they are functioning correctly. On the subject of the turbo solenoid am I correct in thinking that the turbo boost should drop out below a set rpm? This would require the solenoid to be de-energised thus opening the wastegate. My meter shows the solenoid is continually energized at 10v ish and does not drop out with falling rpm so turbo is on all the time. Is this correct or am I chasing my tail here?
Alan
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Hi alan,

As per PM, yes you are correct, the solinoids NEED to be operational for the turbo to wake up... If they are dead then the wastegate stays open and theres no boost. Which then confirms what I never tried, and that was to put the Vac from the Pump on the end of the head straight onto the wastegate... that would of told me a few things..

Never mind, next time..

Well done! nice find. glad it was the cheaper option!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto