Unusual suspension problem on VSX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

Unusual suspension problem on VSX

Post by isisalar »

The front suspension on my VSX appears to be locking uo momentarily at random.Can be going over a series of speed bumps say, all ok and then one will really upset the car.I've tried bump tests,with the engine running,usually OK ,but once ,the suspension was absoloutely locked solid,as if the engine was off (and had 'clicked').
The car sinks maybe an inch or two overnight and the rear will always sink right down on start up and then come up to normal height.On a few occasions recently it has done some random 'hops' sometimes on start up once when applying the brakes at standstill,and once when I turned on the ignition before firing up the engine.
All the spheres were replaced just before I bought the car 3yrs/30,000 miles ago,except one in the middle at the front,(not the accumulator as far as I know)The car is not clicking rapidly.
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Paul

It could be that the suspension is momentarly switching to hard which shouldn't be that dramatic. It sounds as though one or both of the front spheres need replacing. Try bouncing each corner with the engine running, you should have 3"-6" of up and down movement, any less and you need spheres. The centre sphere only affects the ride in normal soft mode.

Peter
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

When the engine is off and the electrovalves have clicked the suspension shouldn't lock out. It sounds like the problem is that your four corner spheres are flat as a fart.

When the car runs in 'soft' mode, there are three spheres at the front and three at the back all linked, the centre sphere being the one that makes it soft. When in 'hard' mode the centre spheres are locked out leaving just the corner spheres to do the work, and if they are flat it will give the symptoms you describe. (these centre spheres I describe are different to the anti sink and accumulator spheres by the way)

Just so you know hydractive and non hydractive corner spheres are different.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

It sounds like your front electrovalve is playing up and not shutting off the leak back port when it's switched to soft mode.

If you check for LHM running back to the tank you may see a high flow rate.

The solution is probably to strip down the electrovalve and stretch the small spring to give it a bit more pressure.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.