snow tyres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Re: snow tyres

Post by daviemck2006 »

allanmc wrote:another question about snow tyres, been on to My Tyres about a full set of Vredsteins the Xantia size is 205/60/15 and cost £80.30 but 195/60/15 are £63.50 what do you think
allanmc
I would put on the 195, not for the cost, but because IMO the slightly narrower tyres will cut through snow and slush eaiser giving better grip
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
allanmc
My Cars:

snow tyres

Post by allanmc »

Thanks for the replies I think I am going to go for the 195s
SwissSPEC
My Cars:

Post by SwissSPEC »

I've been using winter tyres for over 4 years now & they are the best money i've ever spent on Tyres. This years snow & big freeze, i was the only 2wd car able to get out of my estate & actually drive on the roads. I did have to raise the suspension due to the depth of the snow. Debica Frigo2's were what i was using. They are now worn out, so i'm going to have to buy 4 more, i'll probably buy new rather than part worn as i found that performance did tail off quite a bit as they got lower on tread, still loads better than brand new standard tyres though.

Also a slight correction, its not 12 but 7 degrees where winter tyres come into their own, even in dry conditions, normal tyres go rock hard & grip disappears, add in some rain, & i can understand why a lot more cars end up in ditches. Sligthly noisier, but not that terrible as silica seems to make them quite quiet compared to older winter tyres of a few decades ago, again fuel economy not noticeablly different. What price safety?
CX GTI 2 Turbo (LHD) - Sorn
Bx Gti 16v
BX TZD Turbo - Sorn
C5 Mk1 LX 2.0HDi Estate
Mini Cooper D Clubman
MPV

Post by MPV »

SwissSPEC wrote:I've been using winter tyres for over 4 years now & they are the best money i've ever spent on Tyres. This years snow & big freeze, i was the only 2wd car able to get out of my estate & actually drive on the roads. I did have to raise the suspension due to the depth of the snow. Debica Frigo2's were what i was using. They are now worn out, so i'm going to have to buy 4 more, i'll probably buy new rather than part worn as i found that performance did tail off quite a bit as they got lower on tread, still loads better than brand new standard tyres though.

Also a slight correction, its not 12 but 7 degrees where winter tyres come into their own, even in dry conditions, normal tyres go rock hard & grip disappears, add in some rain, & i can understand why a lot more cars end up in ditches. Sligthly noisier, but not that terrible as silica seems to make them quite quiet compared to older winter tyres of a few decades ago, again fuel economy not noticeablly different. What price safety?
Totally agree with you there...smallest knock and there goes your excess, mine is £350! So the winter tyres pay for themselves very quickly.
allanmc
My Cars:

snow tyres

Post by allanmc »

Hi had a set of Verdesteins delivered yesterday so my next move is getting my spare set of wheels claned up and painted and then fit the tyres
allanmc
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

I wonder how you stand Insurance - wise with none std. size / speed rating tyres fitted

on thin ice........ ?
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yes, despite winter tyres being, in theory, a safety benefit, insurance companies see them as a modification! So they want to charge you for fitting them and I also believe some might not cover them?

Obviously fitting the correct size and speed rating that the car should have will help. However often winter tyres are not available in the speed you want. My C5 likes to eat W rated tyres, the easiest winter tyres to find in the size it has are H or at the very best V.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
allanmc
My Cars:

snow tyres

Post by allanmc »

I am insured with Saga and contacted them last year about fitting 195/60/15 snow tyres and they were OK with it just said that I should let them know when I take them off. i think the way things are going with the winter weather its about time that we should be encouraged to use winter tyres
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

Dum Dum Daaaah ( canonball run) 8-)

Nowt personal old luv , but I would be inclined to treat with a pinch of salt , anything uttered verbally by any insurer or broker - " just said " don't cut it when S...t happens.

You may of course , ask them for conformation in writing ?

You may be asked to pay for it though..........
MPV

Post by MPV »

Insurance co.s are a bunch of :^o :twisted: **ers!

I asked mine and they said no problem. I pointed out that to be legal to drive in countries like Germany in winter you HAVE to have them. Remember, they tape record all conversations with them, so if they get funny, ask them to retrieve the tape. Always make a detailed note of when and whom you talked to and what was said when dealing with them. I've heard of some insurance companies being funny about winter tyres, but if they ever gave me any trouble I'd take them to the insurance ombudsman and make sure it cost them dear.

I've even heard it said that having a GPS or a handsfree phone is counted by some insurance co.s as a modification.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

MPV wrote: I've even heard it said that having a GPS or a handsfree phone is counted by some insurance co.s as a modification.
Also interesting to note that some insurance companies consider a towbar to be a mod too, so it might be worth checking if you have one fitted.

Quite right really as in a bump they can cause more damage to th ether car or the one with the towbar. Though it doesnt seem like an often thought about issue.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10