The Leak that never was?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Be-Exer
My Cars:

The Leak that never was?

Post by Be-Exer »

My Xantia started leaking coolant off the rear of the front subframe even when not running and I thought that I felt water around that plastic connector at the bottom back of the block. It was like a dripping tap(off the subframe) and so I ordered the new connector and refilled/bled the system as I had to make a short trip in the car. Blow me if it isn't leak tight now - as confirmed by several more trips including a couple of motorway blasts !

I'm guessing that he previous owner may have used something like radweld or similar to cure a leak and maybe that is the explanation but does anyone have any thoughts on this. In my day job I've found that leaks usually return when you are least able to deal with them!

The only further info I can give is that the car has never had a water pump in its 122K and there is a little rust haze on the timing belt cover.
Paul
93 Bx 19 TXD Estate
00 Xantia HDi110 Estate
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Is this a joke are you serious 122.000miles on one pump, possible but hard to believe it has'nt been changed during the belt change.
I 'm thinking it must have had the timing belt changed has it!!.
Whilst doing the waterpump about £15 You may as well do the timing belt as well.
Good luck with the job bit of a pain in the a**e to do.
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

122k should not be a problem.

With my old 1.9TD Xant I used to change the pump every other cam belt change (same for tensioner and pulley).

Car did 380k miles on this regime with no problems in those areas.

On removal components did not look at all bad.

regards

John
Be-Exer
My Cars:

Post by Be-Exer »

Thanks for the input fellas - I've got an old invoice for the timing belt replacement but at £115 I don't imagine it included a pump?
Paul
93 Bx 19 TXD Estate
00 Xantia HDi110 Estate
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Any possibility that a previous owner bought the parts for the guy to fit?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair