HDi Question Please?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

HDi Question Please?

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi, would it be possible to remove the HDi pump and injectors On an HDi engine and replace with a non HDi system ie standard pump an injectors?

or is there something different about the engine ie compression ratios etc

that wouldnt allow it to run properly.

thanks in advance.

Nigel.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Not entirely sure about this but wasn't the DW8 as fitted to C15's and ZX's an HDi with an old pump/system?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

In a word NO

The injectors on an HDi do NOT screw in, they just "Sit" there but theres a Clamp that holds them in place...

HDi injectors are twice the length of ordinary injectors..

So really you would have to junk the head aswell and fit a DW8 Head, which does use a normal Roatry Pump and injectors screwed into the head.

When PSA designed the HDi engine the block is normal XUD block, but the pistons and head are completely new..

Anyway, why would you do that!!?? The HDi is smoother, better, faster, more economical and chipable!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The DW8 is just a normal indirect injection, never seen one fitted to a ZX, bit to early for that.
To answer the original question, i can see that you would be able to get that idea to work for quite a few different reasons.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

not least because ther HDi is a DI (Direct Injection) and the XUD is an IDI (InDirect Injection)

Pump, combustion chamber and injectror requirements are totally and utterly different for the two methods and are not at all compatible...

If you are intersted in the techicalities Nigel, I'll be more than happy to expand...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Jim, I didnt realise that the HDi was a Di engine, that has scuppered any thoughts of adapting a C5 to run on Filterted Waste veg oil then and I wouldnt want to twin tank it.

would it be permissable in these modern days to fit an indirect engine to a C5 a donor engine from an Xantia for example??

thanks for the comments thus far.

regards Nigel.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

you would be far better off just selling the C5 and buying a Xantia surely?

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
falling-out-with-my-car

I would like a C5 if I could run it on veg oil.

sometimes its nice to have a new car even if it means a little work to get it right.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

It'd be worth thinking over the question of emissions if fitting an engine of an older era.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

CitroJim wrote:
Pump, combustion chamber and injectror requirements are totally and utterly different for the two methods and are not at all compatible...

Pretty much what I said I THINK... :conf: :lol:

Thats all in the head design, however, due to being DI, the piston tops are "Holed" out with a solid centre... um, like a hollow channel... so weither a DW8 head would fit I dont know...

Paul

:wink:
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
falling-out-with-my-car

I know some insurance companies won't insure a vechicle if it has had an engine change , esspecially an engine that wasnt specifically designed for that model, if your replacing a standard engine with a new engine this is allowed, I was only wondering if it was possible to upgrade the body at some point thats all, just exploring the possibility.

I know for a fact Di engines hate the veg and you get what we call ring gumming. whereas indirect engines dont suffer with this.

High pressure diesel injection systems are a no-no with running veg oil apparently it mucks up the injectors pretty quickly that was my reason for asking.

regards Nigel.