Dispatch fuel pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

wotwot wrote:Could this seal still be at fault or would i have diesel showing up somewhere.
Not if there's no visible leaks.. When they go they really leak but they don't stop the pump basically working.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Maybe the seal they are talking about is not the front seal, is there an internal one that could cause problems.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

wotwot wrote:is there an internal one that could cause problems.
No, all seals are external. Everything internal relies on close tolerances to seal.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Well a eureka moment.
I've read this on another forum so i suspect something similar :roll: .

The last owner broke down thinking he was out of fuel even though the gauge showed he still had some ? ?,called the AA.
The AA man tried to bleed the fuel system,and when he could get nothing from the injector pipes on the back of the pump thought he would bleed it from the triangle bolt on the side of the pump :shock: .
The rest is history as they say.

As soon as i took the top of the pump for stripping i tried to push the governor plates they were stiff to say the least,looked at the pivot bolts and yes it had been undone and then done up but not in the hole provided :roll: .
The material it is made of does not like to be straightened, it groaned as I bent it back to shape and cracked.
This has i assume caused stress to the plate which holds the two large springs from the distributor and is now in two after i dropped it on the floor that is.

These two smal springs would not fall out when i tipped it up on the bench,
on PULLING them out were half full of what must have been FAT.
So he must have been using chip oil (he was a bit lardy
:lol: ).

Anyway do any of you guys on here have any internal parts off a Bosch pump I could exchange for beer tokens.[/img]

Sorry got the images in the wrong order the two smaller springs were full off fat.
these are not my imagesand are used for the purposes of this thread,i will upload mine when i get them off my phone.

Oh And heres that BLEED screw :twisted: .
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Managed to get the photo of my damaged parts up now.

clearly shows the kink,

a full image

and did'nt notice before but i thought i had cracked it trying to straighten it,
but this was taken before straightening and clearly shows already cracked.

If anyone has this part out of a pump let me know i dont mind trying to repair 8-) .
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That was a bit silly of the AA man :twisted:

Is that a crack in the lever assembly in the bottom photo?

Basically as long as it's just bent and not cracked then a careful straitening and checking that when it's mounted back on it's pivot screws that it's very free to move then it'll be very fine indeed. Only replace if that is indeed a crack.

If you do feel the need to replace it then the assembly is identical in any Bosch pump.

It looks a bit gummy in there so a good clean will not go amiss.
Jim

wotwot
(Donor 2021)
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

yes citrojim that is a crack.
Like i said I heard it groan when trying to straighten it but it was already cracked,
the pump was a little grubby inside,the small springs in the distributer located at the top of the pump were half full of FAT.

I hope someone on here has got an odd pump kicking around that i could scavenge the parts from.
I would like to see this through to the end now and not just give up and get another pump although if anyone has one of them i could release a few beer tokens in exchange for it :wink: .
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

And the part i dropped whoops?
It must have been stressed to have broken so easily,anyway if anyone has this along with the guvernor plates I would really show my appreciation with beer tokens 8-) .

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I have one of those pumps in my collection. It's ruined beyond belief having stood with some 'exotic' fuel in it but I reckon the bits you need should be OK.

Sadly, due to other activities it'll be Thursday before I can even get near it. If you can wait that long wotwot, I'll have a look...

That's amazing the plunger plate broke like that :shock: It must already have been weak. Are the big plunger springs OK?
Jim

wotwot
(Donor 2021)
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Thanks very much Jim, The offer of the parts is a godsend and would be appreciated.
We are in a hurry but we thank you for taking the time and effort to help out.
Just as soon as you can arrange getting to the pump to get the bits would be fine with us 8-) .
Please PM me for address and details required.

You were up with the birdies this morning had gone out by 6.00 am so missed this reply.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I'll be on to it as soon as I can wotwot..

Always up early me, normally up around 4:30 most days...

Best time of the day to get things done...

PM on its way...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Here's a good source of seals. I've dealt with them in the past.

Ignore that it's for a Volkswagen.. They're the same...

Brickwerks

They haven't half gone up. last time I bought this kit from thenm they were six quid or so...
Jim

wotwot
(Donor 2021)
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Thanks for the link will be ordering the seals shortly.
email sent Jim.
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Thanks to citrojim his generosity and his parts emporium the pump is in one piece again.A much appreciated cuppa and a good chin wag many thanks Jim.

And my god you were right about the pump Jim it did'nt look petty inside.
I only used one section of the govenor plates the other two parts were been eaten by whatever was in there !!.
The replacement for the part that I dropped and which broke in half needed a little work before I could install it,a five minute work out on my finest sharpening stone cleared the "rust" or what ever it was.
Putting it all back together was worse than taking it apart.
Its now sitting on the work bench awaiting its transplant back into the dispatch 8-) on friday.I'll get back and let you know how it goes or not for that matter fingers crossed.
There are other parts left over from this doner pump so if anyone needs anything from the pump let me know.

And this is the pump back together,I did clean it down but that black crud just dont come off,the bar code sticker came up clean ??!!.
And for those eagle eyed amongst you there is no STOP LEVER most odd.

The blank off where the stop lever would normally go.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's great news :D

Very good indeed to meet you last evening! Sorry about the fishy smell in the kitchen. I found my daughter, when helping cook a feast on Tuesday had thrown the fish wrapping in the bin and this afternoon it was very 'high' indeed :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looking forward to hearing this Dispatch running very soon....
Jim