Synergie clutch pedal problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

thatfatbloke
My Cars:

Synergie clutch pedal problem

Post by thatfatbloke »

The clutch pedal on my 1996 Synergie 1.9td occasionally goes to the floor when pressed and doesn't return. This is accompanied by a clicking sound as the pedal is pressed. You can normally get it back by pulling it back by hand - not ideal when driving!!. It dumped us 50 miles from home last February when it wouldn't come back at all,it just stayed all loose with no resistance at all. After being piggy backed home by the RAC,a new Citroen clutch cable was fitted and hasn't been a problem since - until today. It has just done it again to the wife,but did return O.K.. Supposed to be driving it to Somerset tomorrow, a trip of around 200 miles. Surely it can't need another cable after only 8000 miles can it?. Any ideas?.
1996 Synergie 1.9td - the money pit!!. Long gone.
1997 Lexus LS400 - a proper car.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

is the pedel action very heavy when its doing what its ment to do,

if so maybe its time for a new clutch,

regards malcolm
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

Speaking only from limited personal experience .
on a 1.9 TD

There is an in - built self adjuster in the clutch cable itself . not on the pedal box like some cars.

The outer casing of the cable is also very exposed underneath and often suffers corrosion which can partially seize the cable internally .

When it " slips " it ratchets itself backup ( sometimes) by lifting and depressing the pedal a few times . you may not get another warning and it is not advisable to drive it .

However - once it Has slipped - it Will do it again at some point, and may smash the clutch just for good measure .

Replace the Cable asap with a Genuine Citroen supplied one Ref: your registration number .

Do not entertain a " pattern " part. do NOT lube it !

Even when a new cable is fitted , the clutch can feel rough / sqeaky . and you may convince yourself to lube the pedals / pivots etc. ?

If the clutch cable gets even a sniff of lube / wd etc. inside. the self adjuster will slip again ! and yet another new cable needed. if there is any existing lube in the vicinity of your clutch pedal that can get into the top of the cable - remove pronto . Some garages oil the pedal pivots liberally - big mistake.

I have heard mention of pedal boxes splitting ?

Some people have had their ( perfectly operational) clutch replaced , at some cost , only to have to replace the culprit cable afterwards.

I would replace the cable in the first instance . :wink:
thatfatbloke
My Cars:

Post by thatfatbloke »

Thanks for the above replies. We've now had enough of this pile of poo. It always want's something doing to it. We've spent a fortune on the thing in the past four and a half years just to keep it on the road. You just get one thing fixed and something else goes wrong. It's a shame really as it has been very useful for moving things like wardrobes and settee's and we've used it as a camper for cheap holidays. Most of the problems have been with the front suspension,every MOT it has needed £200/£300 spending on some joint/arm/bushes or new tyres that have worn prematurely due to something being knackered on the front end. It has had eleven new front tyres since we've had it!!. Enough is enough. Chrysler Voyager here we come.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

so are you going to sell it or give it away now :twisted: :lol:

im not far from you :lol:

regards malcolm
thatfatbloke
My Cars:

Post by thatfatbloke »

Hi citronut. It's actually the wife's car. I expect she will keep it and chuck more money at it. She's actually out there now pumping up a tyre that needs doing weekly,tatty after market alloys leaking air. We took my Lexus to Somerset last week,didn't want to trust the Citroen,having bought yet another new front tyre to be on the safe side!!. The Lexus of course didn't miss a beat but of course it being a four litre V8 cost a bit more in fuel!!. See my posts on here for other problems we have with the Synergie. Will let you know if she wants to sell.
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

Indeed , I wonder if Citroen UK can advise on the " After Market " alloys leaking air ? 8-)

Putting on the Old Cynical head again , given the robustness - for want of a better word - of the M.O.T examination , and the fact that most Garages are scratching for Work , MOT repairs being their prime income in many cases , I would consider a couple of hundred quid - yearly a small price to pay ?

Possibly not ?
wiggie_me

Post by wiggie_me »

i had the clutch problem on my synergie, its the self ajuster on the cable, just needs new cable, prity simple to fit too.
thatfatbloke
My Cars:

Post by thatfatbloke »

She's having the thing fixed tomorrow. £49.30 for genuine Citroen cable (GSF Hastings don't seem to stock them anymore) plus £35 to fit it. About the same as it cost us last year. It didn't 'go' for a couple of weeks,hence the gap in posting,but has gone completely now. Should be fun getting it to the garage tonight with no clutch!!. That's life - with a Citroen.
MPV

Post by MPV »

Hey Fatbloke, have you still got the money pit? Hope so!