Car won't start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bbb
My Cars:

Car won't start

Post by bbb »

Hello,
Got a call from the Mrs, car ('95 Diesel Xantia) at Morrisons but won't start has been fine all day but now nothing. Battery ok (not tested on muti meter) but ignition key and under the steering column were very hot. Suspecting a short somewhere that is preventing the starter motor from turning.

Where do i start looking given that we only have one car and its at morrisons so I can only take a minmum of tools on the bike.

much thanks
bbb
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Is the engine turning over on the starter ?
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
bbb
My Cars:

Post by bbb »

wasn't turning on the starter - nothing. suspected it may have burned contacts in the ignition barrel.
it wasn't, the car is an auto and the mrs had left it in drive :shock:
unsurprisingly it started in park. :lol:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

bbb wrote: it wasn't, the car is an auto and the mrs had left it in drive :shock:
unsurprisingly it started in park. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: A bit of a blond moment there then...

Don't give her a hard time about it, I'm not entirely innocent of the same crime and when I've done it it's really left me scratching my head. The gear selector is the last thing you look at....

Still, good news :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I think we've all done this. :oops: I do tend to hold the footbrake on on an auto during starting though as you never know ;)

Also manuals, some manufacturer's fit a clutch switch so you have to depress that before the starter circuit will function. Hyundai springs to mind here. Still its good practise on a manual to do that (I always do it anyway, usually) as you're lessening the load slightly, more "useful" on a very cold day with thick / cold transmission oil though, probably.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG