Heavy clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Heavy clutch

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Would an original clutch that is on the heavy side be puting extra strain on the gearbox as apposed to a light clutch :-k
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if the clutch is very heavy it sudgests it is on its last legs,

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

As Malcolm says... A new, good clutch will be found to be as light as a feather... So light it feels as if there's no clutch there!

It won't be straining the gearbox but it will be straining the clutch cable and its clip. Moreso the latter.

Changing a clutch clip is a very overrated pastime :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

.... and a lot of time passes :x
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:.... and a lot of time passes :x
Upside-down in the footwell :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Mayn years ago, I replaced the clutch & cable on my 1.9TD because I felt the clutch was too heavy, though I found on removal that the old clutch wasn't badly worn. There was an improvement with the new clutch, which I attribute to my replacing the cable at the same time (see below). I've never considered my clutch to be light, in comparison to the (few) other cars I've had.

The same clutch became extremely heavy last year, and just as I was seriously contemplating doing something about it, the clip failed. Fitted a new clip, plus a new cable, and clutch returned to it's normal feel.

So my suggestion is to replace the cable first, if you're only concerned with the weight of the pedal, and otherwise are happy with the clutch itself.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I agree with Xantidote check the cable first, the nylon lining gathers up and wedges things. G.