no fuel on my 96 xantia 2.0l t petrol 8v (ct turbo vsx )

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

spliffy
My Cars:

no fuel on my 96 xantia 2.0l t petrol 8v (ct turbo vsx )

Post by spliffy »

hi everyone im hoping someone can help before i pay for an auto electrician.broke down last night car would not start the aa was called they said the fuel pump relay fuse had blown (f9 in engine compatment )they replaced it then discovered no feed to the fuse they said it was down to the relay inside the ecu box this relay is brown about 2 inches long and says bitron on it i have tried 3 other relays had no luck they also tried by passing the inertia switch please please help !!!!
Spliffy
have owned : renault 21,mk1 megane 1.6 8v
currently own renault megane grand scenic ( 1.9 dci privelige )
currently own renault megane coupe 1.6 16v
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

So that'll be a MK1 then? I'm confused by the car listed in your sig as a 1998 and this one a 1996.

According to the circuit, F9 (the pump fuse) is further supplied by F7 on the other side of the double injection relay (Item 1304).

Check F7 initially and then if that too is blown you need to determine the cause. Either the pump is short-circuit or the siring to it is damaged. As it runs under the back seat carpet it is possible carrying a heavy load with the seats down has caused a fray and a short circuit. If F7 is dead on both sides but the fuse is good, it'll be a loom break.

here are links to the injection circuit and harnesses. The pump is Item 1211.

Hope those help.

EDIT 020815 Links Repaired above... They now work!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spliffy
My Cars:

Post by spliffy »

I will get rid of your confusion mate, This 1996 xantia replaced my previous 1998 xantia which was kindly written off by an idiot , i just have not up-dated. My ex 1998 xantia ( i thought ) was a mk2, my now 1996 xantia is exactly the same so i am presuming it is a mk2 as well. By the way what is the difference ? just checked the car fuse 7 has a feed to it and is intact please advise. I repeat my self f9 has no feed
Spliffy
spliffy
My Cars:

Post by spliffy »

had a look at wiring diagramm they are like chinese to me !!
Spliffy
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks for resolving the confusion...
spliffy wrote:had a look at wiring diagramm they are like chinese to me !!
I know what you mean Spliffy :lol: My daughters wonder in amazement how I make head or tail of them but I've been reading them for 40 years now and they do make some sense sometimes. It's a bit like reading music (or Greek) really.

Now, you say you have a feed on both ends of F7 but nothing on F9 at all. Be aware you'll only see voltage on F9 on initial switch-on to run the pump briefly to pressurise the fuel rail. It'll then disappear until the car starts up.

The Intertia Switch (1203) is still worth a check as this will effectively switch off the pump if it operates for any reason.

My next checks would be to unplug the double relay and look for a feed from F7 on pin 11. That will be there permanently as it comes directly from the battery. Then look for a voltage at pin 2 which will be ignition switched and then if this is present, look for a brief voltage on pins 1 and 9 when he ignition is initially switched on.

Also, with the ignition off and the relay out, look for continuity between both sides of F9 and pins 1 and 9 of the relay. If that's good, measure the resistance to earth between pins 1 and 9 and chassis. It will be a very low resistance if the pump is OK but not quite a dead-short. If you see a dead-short than lift the rear seat to get top the pump and disconnect the multi-plug feeding it and the fuel gauge sender. The reading between pins 1 and 9 and chassis should now be an open-circuit. If a short-circuit still shows than the wiring is damaged.

These tests should nail the area of the problem. Come back with the results.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spliffy
My Cars:

problem solved

Post by spliffy »

cheers jim for your help i took one look at the wiring diagrams and called in an auto electrician he put his multimeter on amps setting and tested the load on fuse f9 came back as 8amps he said straight away pump has a feed but drawing too much indicating pump was knackered . we got a replacement from a breakers yard ( the only one they had ) out of a 1.1 saxo , he had to put the pump part into the original housing . can you see any problems arising in using such a different engine size pump ? will the pressure be any different. the reason why the pump went is because i let the tank run pretty much dry ( a lesson too be learned ! ) cheers jim
Spliffy
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent news in that you've found the problem Spliffy :D

I see no great worry in using a Saxo pump if it can keep up with the fuel demand and you'll soon know if it is struggling as the engine will start spluttering badly under heavy load/high revs.
Jim