Getting key blades out of Xantia fobs?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

DickieG wrote:
xmexclusive wrote:Reprogamming RF plip sets is an order of magnitude more difficult than IR ones. Virtually all attemps fail.
I've reprogrammed several S2 RF keys using my Lexia and not had a problem.
Is there anyway to test if a RF key is actually transmitting?
I've just found Juliet's spare and if memory serves it'll start the car but not work the central locking.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

There are dedicated plip testers like this one that tests both IR & RF ones.
http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.a ... iption=key fob&productcode=&category=0&catgroup=&catmicrogroup=&analysiscode=&requiredresults=16
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

xmexclusive wrote:Were they XM S2 ones with rolling code protection?
Or were they 4 digit immobiliser coil protected type?
Xantia S2 which I presume are the same as XM's of the same era, i.e. no code pad. BTW my Lexia is the genuine thing, I'm not sure that Chinese versions can do key re-coding.
Xac wrote:
DickieG wrote:
xmexclusive wrote:Reprogamming RF plip sets is an order of magnitude more difficult than IR ones. Virtually all attemps fail.
I've just found Juliet's spare and if memory serves it'll start the car but not work the central locking.
I have a Draper version similar to the tool listed in Wheelers post above, it works a treat on RF and IR remotes. You can also test RF remotes in Lexia by going into the re-programme mode.

The problem you have with your spare Xac is that the central locking part of the key needs re-programming to the car, if you have the four digit code (made up from numbers and letters) get all of the keys you have for the car and get Jim or myself to re-programme them to the car, it takes no more than five minutes.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Can I get the code from the dealer?

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xac wrote:Can I get the code from the dealer?
If you don't have it then yes a dealer can give it to you but they usually charge £15ish they also normally require the log book, passport your Dr, school teachers and both Grand parents to attend in person to vouch for your identity.

The last time I asked for a code (Citroen HQ Slough) for my 12 year old Xantia parked directly next to the parts desk I was told that my Police warrant card wasn't sufficient personal identity :roll:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I'd best take a blood sample and maybe a few other samples with me, just to be sure!

DIY sphere tool
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi DickieG

I had also assumed that all similar age S2 were the same.
It seems not as S2 XM's have two rolling code 4 digit numbers stored in plips and receivers. These must match at each key press for data to be acted on. The numbers are transmitted scrambled with other data and then decoded on receipt. Citroen code the sets at factory and do not retain or make the rolling code numbers available. This was done to prevent transmitted code being read by scanners. Receiver is not connected to Lexia socket so unlikely it can read or recode.
This remote system was current for new designs from 1994 to 1996 though it continued to be fitted to XM's right up till the end of production.

John
Xmexclusive
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

xmexclusive wrote:Hi DickieG

I had also assumed that all similar age S2 were the same.
It seems not as S2 XM's have two rolling code 4 digit numbers stored in plips and receivers. These must match at each key press for data to be acted on. The numbers are transmitted scrambled with other data and then decoded on receipt. Citroën code the sets at factory and do not retain or make the rolling code numbers available. This was done to prevent transmitted code being read by scanners. Receiver is not connected to Lexia socket so unlikely it can read or recode.
This remote system was current for new designs from 1994 to 1996 though it continued to be fitted to XM's right up till the end of production.

John
John,

I wouldn't be surprised if the system is the same on Xm's and S2 Xantia's as I know from reading blurb somewhere specifically on Xantia's that they work on rolling codes (as do most key immobiliser systems), it even states in the handbook to avoid unnecessarily pressing the key remote buttons to avoid them getting out of sync. Lexia connects via the normal diagnostic socket to programme the key/remote then connects via the body computer etc. The four digit code that Citroen provides merely gives you access for re-programming, it has nothing to do with the rolling sequence. IIRC it is also required when programming new engine ECU's

Have you tried to re-programme remotes/keys using a Lexia?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
mongoose100
My Cars:

Post by mongoose100 »

Xac wrote:
DickieG wrote:
Point Ir beam towards a cellphone with a camera, believe it or not, you'll see the purple light if its working
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6
1994 Citroën Xantia 1.9TD
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

mongoose100 wrote:
Xac wrote:
DickieG wrote: I've reprogrammed several S2 RF keys using my Lexia and not had a problem.
Point Ir beam towards a cellphone with a camera, believe it or not, you'll see the purple light if its working
Yes that is fine for IR ones, but not RF (radio frequency) ones.

Popped to the dealer today and got the code for free with no hassles :)

DIY sphere tool
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't IF only used on Mk1's and RF on Mk2's ? :oops:
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

XantiaDaveEire wrote:Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't IR only used on Mk1's and RF on Mk2's ? :oops:
Yes that's correct
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH