Removing Mk1 keypad to access Airbag ecu?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Spaces wrote:Plenty of evidence around that airbags can be dangerous, but I suppose that would be too far-fetched for the nanny-state to believe... :roll:
Undeniably but it is generally very unusual circumstances where people are injured or killed by airbags, when they operate in the circumstances that prevail during the course of the vast majority of accidents then they are beneficial.
The same argument can be applied to safety belts.
There is very little chance of either being withdrawn.
Cheap tyres and/or un-serviced cars (instead of serviced and maintained by someone who knows what they're doing) far more dangerous than lack of an airbag.

Common-sense - as someone once said, it isn't common at all.
True, but in an otherwise fully capable car - which the MOT test is supposed to confirm - airbags are an additional level of protection.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Being someone who has spent the past 31 years dealing with road traffic collisions, such arguments about airbags and seatbelts being part of the nanny state are beyond laughable, we'll be hearing next that seat belts are dangerous as you're better off being thrown out of the car in a collision :roll:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Spaces
Location: Rarely in one place for too long - Hebridean Islands and Yorkshire are my favourites
My Cars:

Post by Spaces »

myglaren wrote:
Spaces wrote:
Common-sense - as someone once said, it isn't common at all.
True, but in an otherwise fully capable car - which the MOT test is supposed to confirm - airbags are an additional level of protection.
I think engaging the brain is the only really safe approach, otherwise it's just a matter of degrees - especially when cars are so relatively safe compared with 40 years ago. At what point are there enough airbags to decide not to fit any more? Answer - when there's no more room, from what I can see. Brainless. Then the heavy pillars block out vision, and accidents are more likely to occur.

Sadly we're living in a society where such brain engagement isn't encouraged too much.
PeterN: "Honest John's forum put the last nail in the coffin of owning a 2000- car. Many were still servicable, but CR, DMFs and needing fault codes read because your horn doesn't work - no thanks. All my life I have generally understood cars - until now."
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The big problem here is that you cannot by remote control engage the brains of other drivers so you need all the help you can get to avoid being killed or injured by someone too busy on his mobile phone (ex.) to look what is going on around him.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

myglaren wrote:The big problem here is that you cannot by remote control engage the brains of other drivers so you need all the help you can get to avoid being killed or injured by someone too busy on his mobile phone (ex.) to look what is going on around him.
Exactly, as I spend almost all of my time at work out on the road I've lost count of the number of occasions where I've been faced with a car hurtling towards me over a blind crest/out of a bend and its just been the luck of the gods that I'm still here to tell the tale as just one or two seconds delay or advancement of my journey and it would have been good night Vienna.

When it comes to driving my qualifications put me quite near the top in skills of observation, anticipation, planning and car handling but none of that can account for what I've described above and as I've also had to deal with the aftermath I prefer to wear my seatbelt and keep airbags connected.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Dickie,

with the utmost respect that is exactly your free choice as it is my free choice to turn off the warnning light or disconnect the airbag Ecu.
this is my gripe but it would seem that most are blind to the fact that the FCF is making personal choices for them on the basis that it is a legal issue
when there is currently no legal requirement to have a working air bag system in a vechicle and I very much doubt there ever will be because you would have to enforce and equip many older classic vechicles that never had them fitted in the first place.

Now respect to those who want their hands held in this life, these are probably the sort of people who dont frequent this website or the kind of person who asks how his stereo comes out of the dashboard apposed to how to strip down an engine, someone who might be a bit more hands on.

I would consider myself the latter even though health issues have prevented me from doing the heavier jobs of late.
it depends if your the type who chucks something away and buys a new one or takes it to bits and trys to fix it.

Now I appreciate knowledge even if I dont act on it for whatever reason be it disabling a saftey device or repairing it, in this case it was for personal reasons and trust me I have had many PM's asking how to disable the airbag system from others with similar health issues as my own. If Citroen won't tell you and it makes your vechicle safer for you to drive if you have a medical condition where are they going to find the information, they might just come on here to find that information.

Others are quite annoyed by the fact that airbags are fitted as this thread has pointed out earlier on it to would be their personal choice if they chose to act on the Knowledge shared not the remit of a Mod on this site that doesnt agree with the information for their own personal reasons.
and some how bringing the law into something that is not covered by Law as yet.

I still think the decision to hold peoples hands without letting them make their own personal choice was wrong, you may not but that is your decision and no-one is interfearing with your right to that personal decision
are they?
I hope I am explainning my point clearly enough for people to understand it because the point seems to be missed time and time again. hence my comment Nanny Fcf, offensive or not it is currently a fact. another way of putting it everyone on this site is incapeable of making their own decision so the Mods will do it for you and quote legality issues as an excuse for your inability to make your own choices.
Now being a hands on sort of person I find that extreemly insulting.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

We will not tollerate the posting of information on how to disable safety features such as airbags or ABS. This discussion is now over.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool