steering rack gaiter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

steering rack gaiter

Post by froggy »

Hi, Iam about to fit a new gaiter on my steering rack ( Xantia 1997 ).
Iam going to undo it at the hub end . Do I need to replace the nut , with a new one or am I able to reuse the old one . cheers Terry.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

If it's an interference type locking nut you theoretically should replace it.

Certain people well known to me, have been "caught" peening the locking end a little more (on the bench) to re-use the nut. Your choice!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The nut on the track rod end, at the end of the taper, is a normal Nyloc nut. Don't tell anyone but I generally re-use them if they are in good nick...

As Adam says, strictly you should replace them.

You may find a problem in unscrewing the trackrod end out of the end of the steering rod. They can get very tightly corroded in. Undo the locknut a few turns and soak the thread very well with Plus Gas.

Don't forget to take careful measurements to avoid upsetting the tracking. Count the threads on the track rod end as you unscrew it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Get the track rod going before you break the taper on the end - it's much easier to get a good purchase on it if the end is not flopping about all over the place :lol: Also, make sure you screw the nut right off the end of the thread and refit it finger tight only before breaking the taper, otherwise you end up with the taper broken and the whole lot going round, and you can't remove the nut off the end, or retighten it to reseat the taper :oops:
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i always only just crack the lock nut which locks the track rod end to the track rod,

this way you can mesurethe distance from the centre of the back of the swivle joint body cap to the back of the lock nut,

then you will get the tracking vertualy the same as before removal,

i also loosen the swivle pin nylock nut till its on the very last couple of threads, and finger tight,

otherwise once you have split the joint you might have fun undoing the nut the rest of the way,

on refitting you sometimes need to place a jack under the swivle body to get the nylock nut to pull the joint together,

regards malcolm
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

:oops: I forget about this corrosion thing! The underside of my car is like that of Ozzie Kuma - more or less, as made.