Contemplating a Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Calm down ladies!

Dickie, I agree with you on the flat spot of performance <2000 rpm in the early 1.9TD engine, if it weren't for driving my late 1.9TD with the HDi turbo though I probably wouldn't have noticed how crap the earlier engine/turbo combination is.

As I said before, get a late 1.9 and you'll have all the benefits of the 1.9, with the benefits of the HDi engine.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xac wrote:There isn't the need to drive everywhere at 1000rpm Richard, I wouldn't even do that in a hdi, and I seriously doubt you actually do either.
If what you say is true and your hdi performs like Dex, then to get anything out of it takes revving well over 3000, which gave only a few hundred rpm to actually do any overtaking with, unless you planned it really well and gave yourself a good mile to do it.
No I don't drive everywhere at 1,000rpm but judging by your statement of being in 5th @ 30mph you obviously do! There is a nice big fat section of torque between 1+ 2,000rpm in an HDi and no problem going beyond 3,000rpm should you feel the need, funnily enough it has a similarity to the XUD at those revs, just a little quicker. The expression of "Don't mock it if you haven't tried it" comes to mind, I have driven several examples of both car's and can speak with authority and confidence on this subject, can you?
Xac wrote:Depends on the gearing too, and the torque, so rpm isn't as much a factor as you'd like to make out richard. Incidently, as I've stated before, Cassy pulls all the way to red line in all but 5th.
The gearing in an HDi is fine, how do you find it in your TD's? I've little doubt that an HDi will rev all the way to the red line in all gears other than 5th, I know it does in the first three but then I prefer to observe national speed limits as I value my licence so I won't comment/boast about something unless I know it to be true, hence why I don't know about 4th. Get caught doing more than 30mph anywhere and you'll need a bicycle to get around on.
Xac wrote:Nope, it demonstrates the flexibility of the vehicle Richard ;)
You can rappidly accelerate up to speed, but once there you can just pootle along gracefully and use very little fuel. On WVO that'd be a 92% fuel saving, which you seem to be ignoring.
What you're demonstrating to me is that you'll tailor your argument according to whatever you're attempting to prove. As the purveyor of great ways of saving money on anything other than diesel how come you're not saving 92% on your own fuel? Could that be because even for you its too much hassle brewing, collecting from the local chippy etc etc. For me your argument on 92% savings is akin to saying "If my Auntie was my Uncle she wouldn't be called Doris!" Where is your argument, it like me saying that if I went to Albania I could buy diesel for 21ppl, pointless and off topic.
Xac wrote:Yeah if you want to run your cars on crapsco fuel be my guest.
What are you on about? Is Shell, Esso, BP "Crapsco?"
Xac wrote:I don't be cause I make enough saving running on SVO when combined with claiming fuel back from work, however there's nothing stopping me using WVO like Dave. So again, you can't get away from that 92% cost saving can you Richard? Go on, you can do it, say "Yes, the XUD is the most economical"
So you're honestly trying to convince me and others that you are championing a £144 saving per 12,000 miles but the opportunity of easily saving £1876.80 over the same period by running on WVO isn't worth it? How does that work :? I do believe its time for you to start digging that large hole Xac if you honestly believe you're making a convincing case.
Xac wrote:Wow, it only costs you £150 to do 12000 miles does it? Pull the other one Richard it's got bells on it.
Xac, slow down and read more carefully, where have I said that? Having worked out the figures the £144 I mention is the money you save by running your TD on veg compared with an HDi 110 on diesel over 12,000 miles.
Xac wrote:Considering how low 1st is, and you can pull away reasonably well in 2nd (although I wouldn't want to all the time) I doubt that. You know Richard, with some of the questions you've been asking, I do wonder if you've actually driven all these 1.9TD that much, because from the sound of it you really don't know how to.
Please Xac, please come and teach me how to drive :lol: oh dear Xac you could be stepping onto dangerous territory there, might be best for you to leave that one well alone, however I look forward to the opportunity for you to offer me your wealth of knowledge and experience when it comes to driving, care to set a venue/date?
Xac wrote:Ok, that confirms it, if your XUDs were hunting at 30mph in 5th, there is something wrong with them. It may explain why you get the ECU light on when you roll down hill in gear. Your pump isn't fueling properly.
Do you know what hunting is? Just about any car will hunt if the wrong gear is selected i.e. 5th @ 30, just for the wheeze I tried it just now in my HDi when I took the dog out, hmm not good. So then, your TD's are not like any other TD when it comes to acceleration or when in 5th @ 30mph, my you must have such special powers in your car's. Stop this Xac, I've got tears in my eyes from laughter and cannot see the keyboard! :lol:
Xac wrote:Except the TD doesn't have trouble pulling away in 2nd when rolling, unless perhaps if your pump is having fueling problems, which it is sounding like yours has.
Again it must be those special powers you and your car's have.
Xac wrote:4 years I drove cassy on veg before she needed a new pump. I've had previous pumps need replacing when running on diesel.
See now your use of inferior is fine, that's a comparison, I'm not saying the TD is as good as the hdi, I'm saying it's not as bad as you're trying to make out (unless driven by someone who doesn't know how to use the engine properly).
Did you do 146,328 miles in that time? You don't half get about. TD's are OK if you can put up with turbo lag, I prefer not to, what don't you understand? Of course as you've never tried a 110 HDi you don't have a clue as to what I'm talking about as unlike me you have nothing to compare directly!
Xac wrote:Doesn't change the fact it's a BMW though, I'd need to save a hell of a lot more than 92% fuel costs to have one of them ;)
Oh god you've just reminded me about the turbo lag on my old manager's BMW, now that was dire! Head down slip road, floor it, wait, wait some more, enter M4 wondering when the car's actually going to start pulling, oh there it is, I think, is it? Bloody awful car.
Oh so turbo lag does now exist but only on BMW's and not on your TD's,,,,,,,,,,Heavens above give me strength!
Xac wrote:Weren't you up at Jim's with BMW wishbones? How much would it have cost to hire a press and get someone to make up a jig if Jim's hadn't been available?
Yes I was, they were from my 530i because just like Xantia's the front bushes needed replacing, don't tell me yours have never and nor will they ever need replacing!! By the way no special jig was required. Even better I've now bought my own press so that I can do the bushes on my Xantia's when they need doing but that may be a while as they only have only done 36 + 56K miles.
Xac wrote:Ouch £40? On top of the higher fuel prices? And I've heard of them failing at less than 50K too and not that old either. But hey, if you want to need to carry a spare pump with you so you don't get stranded, or take the risk that's fine, I just wouldn't do that to my family. At least with WVO its only advisable to carry a spare filter which fits neatly in the boot side pockets, though as along as you change the fuel filter at the required intervals you'd never need the spare.
From what I'm reading here you hear a lot of things Xac and then think of them as real, I prefer to work with facts and they are that should the lift pump on an HDi fail it gives you fair warning by initially failing to start, when that happens simply do as I did and thumb the bottom of the tank and hey presto I was away. Apparently that method works for the AA as well. Having to do that once every 146,328 miles doesn't honestly worry me as I consider that 'risk factor' so low as the potential effect upon my family, but now you've mentioned it feel duty bound to warn them, blast you Xac, may the pox be upon you!
Xac wrote:The bosch pumps fail becuase of the age of the seals. We'll see how long Cassy's new pump goes, I expect at least another half million (that's potentially 10 lift pump changes for a hdi isn't it? or £400, plus all that extra fuel duty increases).
Wow Cassie has done 500,000 miles already, now that is impressive, I apologise I didn't realise she'd done that much mileage!
Xac wrote:Of course SVO is currently quite high, normally it's 70ppl, and the price is dropping back towards that, do you think diesel is going to drop by 30ppl any time soon, or go up?
Here you go again,"If my Auntie was my Uncle she wouldn't be called Doris" stick to the facts as they are today and lets have a sensible factual discussion and not one based purely upon hope and expectation of things beyond your own control.
Xac wrote:And you're ignoring WVO because that makes the savings so much more and would take the wind out of your titchy sail even more.
Good luck at the next budget richard!
I'm not ignoring anything, as I've said time and time again I really cannot bother (because I have the choice after all) putting up with the hassle of a TD running on veg to save £144 over 12,000 miles when I have an HDi that I find far more pleasurable to drive. By your own admission you clearly don't think WVO is worth the hassle. Simple really.

Now I really must get going to the DSM!!
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Dommo wrote:As I said before, get a late 1.9 and you'll have all the benefits of the 1.9, with the benefits of the HDi engine.
Excellent a simple solution, are the turbo's interchangeable, if so I'll look into that idea.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

DickieG wrote:
Dommo wrote:As I said before, get a late 1.9 and you'll have all the benefits of the 1.9, with the benefits of the HDi engine.
Excellent a simple solution, are the turbo's interchangeable, if so I'll look into that idea.
Yep, you need the oil and water feed lines off the turbo you want to fit though as theyre different. The engine connection points are the same, If that makes sense?

Regarding the 30mph in 5th, 1.9s will happily do that as long as you don't want to increase speed and you're on a flat road, the 1.9 box is geared shorter than the HDi box so while a HDi will be ~800 rpm at 30 in 5th (and unhappy about it), a 1.9 is just over 1000 rpm (and not particularly happy about it).

The HDi box is definitely an improvement on the TD box, but not if you have an old TD with the larger turbo, it's just not able to pull those sorts of gears easily.

And for the record, I run on WVO that I get free from my mates pub (5 minutes away from home) and takes about an hour or two's work to filter around 140 litres (equivalent of saving £170 ish for two hours work). But I didn't want to get into that discussion, only the engine characteristics side of things. If it weren't for this, I'd go HDi me thinks.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Cassy is just under 1200 at 30 and has no problems climbing hills and keeping 30.
She's happy even with 25 at just over 1000 on relatively flat roads.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Dommo wrote:Yep, you need the oil and water feed lines off the turbo you want to fit though as theyre different. The engine connection points are the same, If that makes sense?
Thanks for that info.
Dommo wrote:And for the record, I run on WVO that I get free from my mates pub (5 minutes away from home) and takes about an hour or two's work to filter around 140 litres (equivalent of saving £170 ish for two hours work).
If you have a feely available supply which saves you that amount of money in that amount of time/work, clearly that makes financial sense. I don't have a source of WVO.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

DickieG wrote:
Dommo wrote:Yep, you need the oil and water feed lines off the turbo you want to fit though as theyre different. The engine connection points are the same, If that makes sense?
Thanks for that info.
Dommo wrote:And for the record, I run on WVO that I get free from my mates pub (5 minutes away from home) and takes about an hour or two's work to filter around 140 litres (equivalent of saving £170 ish for two hours work).
If you have a feely available supply which saves you that amount of money in that amount of time/work, clearly that makes financial sense. I don't have a source of WVO.
I love you man! Hope you're having a good time at DSM :)

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xac wrote:I love you man! Hope you're having a good time at DSM :)
Oi steady on, no man love with me please I've only been married a month :lol:

As you can see I haven't gone to the DSM as I spoke to Jim and its pretty much a washout today so not worth making the journey. Tomorrow I will post Jim my hydraulic pressure gauge (I intended to take it with me today) so that he can test the hydraulics on your Activa at some point.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Yeah the weather here is pretty grotty :(

DIY sphere tool
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

i feel sorry for the 70k people who are at the isle of wight festival today, that bit of land its not renowned for its exellent drainage thats for sure :(

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Deanxm wrote:i feel sorry for the 70k people who are at the isle of wight festival today, that bit of land its not renowned for its exellent drainage thats for sure :(

D
Spare a thought for us mere mortals Dean that have just spent the last 4 days trying to dismantle a temporary small town (Festival Site) that was built in 3 weeks and the first thing to go was the trackway away across the fields :twisted: :twisted:

Colin
ashy90

Post by ashy90 »

The 1.8 16v petrol is a good all rounder.
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

ashy90 wrote:The 1.8 16v petrol is a good all rounder.

:dunce:
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o
ashy90

Post by ashy90 »

XantiaDaveEire wrote:

Better than one of those dodgey diesels anyway :wink:
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

ashy90 wrote:
XantiaDaveEire wrote:

Better than one of those dodgey diesels anyway :wink:
Which dodgey diesel would that be ?
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o