Xantia strut gaiter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Xantia strut gaiter

Post by froggy »

Hi , Iam trying not to panic, I have just noticed the gaiters on my struts have slipped down ! Does this mean my strut tops are about to fail ?
cheers Terry.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

No it means you have the fun job of pulling them back up into place :)
You might want to lube the struts before you do though.

Check the state of the strut top bases while you're under there though.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Xantia strut gaiterSorry

Post by froggy »

Sorry to sound green , very green, but what do you mean by "lube" ? is that grease them .
cheers Terry
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You can grease the strut pistons (the shiny bits) with thin grease but often, just a wipe of LHM is good...

Before you pull your gaiters up, check that they're completely free to rotate against the strut leg else they'll just fall down again. An accumulation of dirt in the bottom gaiter groove where it sits on a ring on the strut can hinder its ability to rotate.

Best way is to give the top groove of the gaiter a small wipe with LHM, ensure the ring on the underside of the strut top is clean and then grasp the gaiter and sort of 'screw' it on to the strut top ring.

It can be a bit of a fun job... A dash of PERCYWHATSIT will see it done... Don't try to use anything but ands or fingers to assist the process as the use of tools may damage the gaiter...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I think Microsoft have taken out a patent on PERCYWHATSIT © and you have to pay £5 to use it now.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:and you have to pay £5 to use it now.
No, you can use it for 30 days for free and then you have to activate it via the phone..

It's become a core component of Internet Exploder 9. You'll need all the PERCYWHATSIT available to be able to recover from the massive memory leak IE9 causes when it's been running for a few hours. The first you know of it is when Windows becomes as responsive as a drum of tar :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:
myglaren wrote:and you have to pay £5 to use it now.
No, you can use it for 30 days for free and then you have to activate it via the phone..

It's become a core component of Internet Exploder 9. You'll need all the PERCYWHATSIT available to be able to recover from the massive memory leak IE9 causes when it's been running for a few hours. The first you know of it is when Windows becomes as responsive as a drum of tar :evil:
But Windows comes out of the box like that :roll: