burst xantia suspesion pipe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davoxx
(Donor 2020)

burst xantia suspesion pipe

Post by davoxx »

this is a burst rear pipe (of the splitter), but i can't see how far back it goes.
trying to figure out how hard it is to change it.

is this a messy job, or is it a small length of pipe?

why?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

At the back I presume Dave. Going into a K junction. can you trace the pipe back to the other end? I suspect it's a brake line. This is given away if the pipe has a big coil in it...

Most pipes are still available from Citroen and if not, Pleiades can knock you one up from Kunifer if you tell them how long it meeds to be...

It's on an Activa isn't it?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

Sorry, yes it is at the back and yes it is on an activa :)

I can not easily trace the pipe back - hence i'm trying to figure out how much work i need to do to take it out.

I don't think it goes to the coil, it kinda bends up behind the K and then i can't see it at all :(
why?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Describe where the other pipes on the K junction go to and then by a process of elimination we can deduce the leaky one...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Which SIDE of the car is it on?? I Think Theres Two K joints under there...

If not then it looks like its the one that goes over to the drivers side coil and to the calliper..

It goes along the subframe, dodges over the top of the centre sphere and then to the rear brake coil then to the calliper... Ive changed one recently on my V6 Xantia..

If its not that one then its the Main brake feed in pipe from the front.. but this ones also easy to spot, as it comes out the same K joint and goes in almost a U bend up to the back of the subframe...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it looks like a suspension feed pipe to me, also that curly brake pipe looks in a very bad way as it gets to the top of the pic'y,

the brake usualy conect to a three way union not a four way junction,

not that i have studdied an ACTIVA pipe work

regards malcolm
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

citroenxm wrote:Which SIDE of the car is it on?? I Think Theres Two K joints under there...

If not then it looks like its the one that goes over to the drivers side coil and to the calliper..

It goes along the subframe, dodges over the top of the centre sphere and then to the rear brake coil then to the calliper... Ive changed one recently on my V6 Xantia..

If its not that one then its the Main brake feed in pipe from the front.. but this ones also easy to spot, as it comes out the same K joint and goes in almost a U bend up to the back of the subframe...

Paul

Sorry paul, i could have sworn that i typed it that it was the driver rear side of the car.

Jim: i have no idea - but i will get under the car later today and try to follow the pipes.

Malcom: i was thinking the same thing, but i wanted to make sure before
i attempted any part of a repair. and there is a good bit of rust under the rear of the car :( but i'd rather not give up hope just yet!!

thanks, guys. I'll lift her up again and have a look and try to get better info. My primary consideration is whether i can fix it myself, or would i be better getting someone else to. I don't want to start pulling off parts only to not be able to get access to finish the job.
why?
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

If its the drivers side then its more suspension feed and distribute rather then brakes... as the brake feed from the rear is defenatly on the passenger side..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

at least if it is one of the shorter brake/suspension feeds that continue on to there destination from there junction/union block,

these are relativly easy to replace, compaired to the front to rear pipes,

regards malcolm
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

finally got a chance to jack her up and get a better look.

pipes seems to bend around and head all the way to the front :(
why?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

davoxx wrote: pipes seems to bend around and head all the way to the front :(
Oh dear, bloody typical..

They're a bit fun to do too. I suspect, judging by the intensity of the leak, that it's the pipe back to the brake dosuer.

That's a subframe lowering task at the rear and a a partial subframe lower at the front too... Plus you'll need to run it across the engine bay bulkhead to the dosuer and in an Activa, access to that are is, erm, poorish due to the turbo pipes in the way...

Give Martin at Pleiades a ring and have a natter with him as he has experience of this and as said, can knock up a new pipe for you...

A possible way around it is to joint it somewhere along its run in the pipe tray on the NS side. Trouble is, for this you'll need the special Citroen 3.5mm flaring tool and they're both scarce and expensive.

Where in the country are you? If you're not too far from Pleiades, take it there for the job to be done...
Jim

davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

CitroJim wrote:
davoxx wrote: pipes seems to bend around and head all the way to the front :(
Oh dear, bloody typical..

They're a bit fun to do too. I suspect, judging by the intensity of the leak, that it's the pipe back to the brake dosuer.
just my luck :(
CitroJim wrote: That's a subframe lowering task at the rear and a a partial subframe lower at the front too... Plus you'll need to run it across the engine bay bulkhead to the dosuer and in an Activa, access to that are is, erm, poorish due to the turbo pipes in the way...
front subframe drop aswell??? why me!!!
i'm going to give up on all this activa cars now!!
CitroJim wrote: Give Martin at Pleiades a ring and have a natter with him as he has experience of this and as said, can knock up a new pipe for you...

A possible way around it is to joint it somewhere along its run in the pipe tray on the NS side. Trouble is, for this you'll need the special Citroën 3.5mm flaring tool and they're both scarce and expensive.
more costs!!! damn i'm broke >:(
CitroJim wrote: Where in the country are you? If you're not too far from Pleiades, take it there for the job to be done...
In dublin, ireland, the worst place to own an activa!!

i'll have to decide what to do with it within 4 weeks ....
why?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

davoxx wrote: i'll have to decide what to do with it within 4 weeks ....
That's the easiest one. Keep it and fix it :wink:

Lowering subframes is not such a bad job at all... In fact you don't go all the way to the dosuer, just to the bank of in-line couplers behind the LHM reservoir.

Measure the pipe length as near as you can and then get Pleiades to make you one. They can send it coiled up. They may even know how long it needs to be.
Jim

Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

CitroJim wrote:
davoxx wrote: i'll have to decide what to do with it within 4 weeks ....
That's the easiest one. Keep it and fix it :wink:

Lowering subframes is not such a bad job at all... In fact you don't go all the way to the dosuer, just to the bank of in-line couplers behind the LHM reservoir.

Measure the pipe length as near as you can and then get Pleiades to make you one. They can send it coiled up. They may even know how long it needs to be.
100% side with Jim here. it is one of thos jobs that seems worse than it is. once you get stuck in it won't be too bad. personally i'd take the oppurtunity to check out the other pipes, much easier to change all that need doing in one hit, and as far as i know the pipes arent stupidly expensive.

i know that i struggle to resist the pull of an activa so the thought of getting rid of one baffles me
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'