Talk me round - Possibly selling my Xantia V6

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gadgetgricey

Talk me round - Possibly selling my Xantia V6

Post by gadgetgricey »

As some of you may be aware from the other thread I started a while ago, managed to aquire an S2 V6 as a spares/repair car.

As was always my intention, I wanted to get it back on the road, and after a couple of months delay/work, it passed its MOT last week.

Still a few non essential things to be sorted on the car, but mechanically it drives spot on, BUT, I just dont feel driving an auto box is for me, I feel much more in control with my Manual TD.

It grieves me after the work I've done, but just not getting the satisfaction from the car as I would have expected. Got virtually the same interior in my TD. (obviously does not have the same amount of power under the bonnet though :evil: ). If only they did a manual Xantia V6.

It dawned on me this morning when I had to go somewhere and I picked the keys up for my TD, not the V6.

Ideally need to make a decision soon, as I've got 14 days to cancel the Insurance policy without being charged an admin fee.

Any opinions/suggestions would be appreciated, but then is anyone after a cheap V6 with 12 months tax and MOT????

- Dave -
Gutted of Halesowen.
C8 - Petrol Auto (Love the electronic doors)
Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (gone but not forgotten)
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

How much is cheap dave???

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

You are meant to be convincing me to keep it, not all looking for a bargain..... :lol: :lol:

- Dave -
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

What happens a few years down the line when you fancy a big engined lazy crusier and look back to think about that Xant V6 you had and regretted selling?
You then try to buy another and find that they're all owned and in dry storage with us anorak wearing collectors who refuse to sell!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

A few years down the line big engined lazy cruisers will be banned, so make the most of them while you can.....
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Are you married, Dave - you're showing signs of unfamiliarity with the idea of making up your own mind?

Sell the TD and replace it with a 406 Mi16 (Series 1). Then you will appreciate the need to keep a V6 slug as means for saving the residual points of your licence.
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

addo wrote:Are you married, Dave - you're showing signs of unfamiliarity with the idea of making up your own mind?
I'm offended. Yes I am married and I do have my own opinions, I just have to be told them by the wife first........
addo wrote:Sell the TD and replace it with a 406 Mi16 (Series 1). Then you will appreciate the need to keep a V6 slug as means for saving the residual points of your licence.
I feel someone better qualified than me will be along in a minute to deal with that comment :lol: :lol:

- Dave -
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dave,

I can see where you're coming from here. Most of us initially find the autobox is not our favourite infusion of Camilla leaves but they do grow on you...

I'd not driven an automatic seriously for 18 years before I got mine on the road and these auto-adaptive 'boxes are a lot different to the old hydro-mechanical ones...

It takes a tad of getting used to, especially the feeling that control has been wrenched from your hands. Cruise has the same initial effect and can be initially scary. Sport mode and large amounts of right pedal welly can be a bit scary at first as well...

Also, as I'm sure you've found, the old 4HP20 is not the smoothest 'box at times and can make some gear changes a just a tad noticeable; this is normal and nothing to worry about. The 'box is not about to fall over.

Just wait until you're stuck in a traffic jam or a motorway go-slow and the full charms of the car will become very apparent; as they will when you have a long trip to do. Engage D, then cruise and arrive at your destination a lot faster than expected and feeling less tired than you might expect.

This is in essence the joy of the V6. It's an effortless, luxury cruiser. It's not at home running to the shops and back or picking the kids up from school. The TD is far more suited to this sort of work.

Stick with it and she'll ingratiate you very soon :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

CitroJim wrote:Stick with it and she'll ingratiate you very soon :D
Cheers Jim.

To be honest, I think it may have swung back to keeping it today...

I'm a fairly basic mechanic and I did really enjoy getting the car back on the road,so did not really want to sell
Anyway had to got to Sutton Coldfield today to fetch a tyre (E-bay purchase for the wife's Scenic), just over an hour all in and quite varied traffic. Motorway/Town etc etc.

On the way back it did start to make sense :D :D

Especially when I put my foot to the floor at around 60mph. Was not expecting that amount of acceleration.

Looks as though she is going to fight another day in my ownership.

Then just got the rear windows, sunroof, and cruise control to sort out. (Thanks for that link by the way. Fairly confident its the pipe at the front as I can hear a relay clicking under the passengers seat when I try and select it)

Thanks all for your input.

- Dave -
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's great news Dave :D

Basic mechanic? Well you've done exceedingly well so far so I'd hardly use the term 'basic' if I were you...

Mind you, this does underline that fact that the V6 is no harder to work on or repair than any other member of the Xantia family. In fact I find there's a lot that is decidedly easier on them and once they're sorted they are incredibly reliable and undemanding, just needing a tad of TLC every now and again to keep everything sweet...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...