Replacing a door mirror?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

OK Neil thanks. Haven't had a chance to watch the video yet but definitely looking forward to it! Were your mirrors originally darker than that (black) or were they grey to begin with?

Does that back to black stuff actually work?

I have seen new patern parts on ebay for about £40 delivered which seemed good for a new one but I always worry that pattern parts just don't quite fit.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I dont think they were ever black but I acquired the car when it had over 100,000 miles on it.

I can easily just send you it. Its not a new item it has its scuffs and faded plastic. The more it lies around in my shed the greater the likelhood of it getting accidentally broken so I am happy to let you have it.

PM me if you want to make it happen

regards Neil
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Door mirror assemblies only ever came in black plastic for the plebs or colour coded panels for the more swanky gentilhommes amongst us. :shock:

Any colour changes are due to UV rays and ozone depletion, or if you're in Northumberland, acid rain! There are many restoratives for black plastic, none work for too long, try a coat of two-pack. :twisted: Or just leave au naturale, for that care worn, faded look. :roll:

H
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

handyman wrote:Door mirror assemblies only ever came in black plastic for the plebs or colour coded panels for the more swanky gentilhommes amongst us. :shock:

Any colour changes are due to UV rays and ozone depletion, or if you're in Northumberland, peas pudding! There are many restoratives for black plastic, none work for too long, try a coat of two-pack. :twisted: Or just leave au naturale, for that care worn, faded look. :roll:

H
Fixed that for you.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Ha, ha, ha, nice one, Steve!

We also have pease pudding here, in the foothills of the Ashdown Alps, eat too much and it has a right nasty effect. :wiggle: :yikes:

H
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:PM me if you want to make it happen

regards Neil
PM sent :)
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

A little help here chaps if you don't mind. I have followed the instructions as far as getting the door card off. I have also removed the leccy window control box. Following the BOL it simply says

'12*19-11 Unscrew the five mirror securing screws, and withdraw the mirror from the door. Feed the wiring through the door as mirror is removed.'

I have heard mention of a 'P' clip, and I can feel that there is something blocking the withdrawal of the wires with their plugs on but BOL makes no mention of this. How do I get the wires through this clip and what is the best way to get the loom from the new mirror into the car and through the 'P' clip and grommet?

Currently car is in a few pieces!

Cheers
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac's just done this job... I'm sure he'll be able to fully advise. Although his is a MK2; not sure of any differences...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'm about to do a nearside one tomorrow; electric/heated/sensor non dipping. It's my road-test of a pattern part.
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

OK chaps, it's done! I found this thread which also helped greatly http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=26462

Couple of points from a real amateur's perspective that caused me most problems:
1. The screw behind the speaker grille furthest away from the hinge. Difficult to see as it is recessed so far and I had the Devil's own job to get my torx driver located.
2. Getting the wiring plugs off from behind the window switches.
3. Realising that the best way to get access to the wiring loom for removal/refitting was through the speaker hole. What a revelation!
4. When refitting the door card, make sure that you don't trap the wires behind and have to take the card off again. D'oh!!

If you can, use proper Torx drivers. I used one of those sets that has all of them in the handle. Kind of like a penknife. Proper drivers would be better for access.

So, it took me a while, but thanks to everyone on here I actually managed to change my mirror (special thanks to Neill for providing the mirror at a bargain price!)
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I found access was easiest through the hole under the metal plate that the connectors clip to, especially when trying to get the mirror loom around the front post of the mirror guide.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Xac wrote:I found access was easiest through the hole under the metal plate that the connectors clip to, especially when trying to get the mirror loom around the front post of the mirror guide.
I was really struggling with access through there, but much easier through the speaker hole. Just goes to show that different people find different solutions.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

One more thing on subject of mirrors. Ever since I have had the car the electrickery adjustment for both mirrors has only worked up&down. The left-right movement doesn't work for either mirror. Is it likely to be the switch or does anyone have any other possibilities?

Ta.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX