Speedo incorrect since dash refit on Xantia S2

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gingerposer
My Cars:

Speedo incorrect since dash refit on Xantia S2

Post by Gingerposer »

Ok, quick version. Garage had the speedo console out to trace abs wiring fault (successfully).
Since then (Friday) the speedo under-records speed, several bulbs are out and the trip meter won't reset.
They are having the car back in Thursday to investigate, just wondering what is likely to have caused these faults, and will they be easily rectified?

Cheers folks,

Ainslie
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Sounds odd. Assuming its electronic not cable it sounds like one of the multiplugs is not correctly fitted or in the case of multi (no pun intended) multiplugs they might not be fitted to the correct sockets on the panel (unlikely as they are usually impossible to fit wrongly)

Other causes are a missing earth or actual static discharge damage to an IC on the panel (unlikely)

If it was presented to me, I'd just remove the panel and check it was connected properly then see if any feeds were awol regarding the missing lights. I did think of the speedo sensor but that could not effect the panel really, unless there was a short in its wiring and that would likely of blown a fuse anyway.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

In the S2 the speedo is electronic, as is the trip. Normally it reads fast!

The trip reset problem is most likely just the button not making good contact with the switch. Again, the trip is electronic..

It's hard to see what they've done to cause this although it's very common to loose panel lamps when you have the instruments in and out... It's not a bad idea to replace them all as an insurance policy...

There's two multiplugs on the back of the S2 instruments and well worth a check as both have a lot of small and delicate pins...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...