Particulate Filter Disaster

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wigelywoo
My Cars:

Particulate Filter Disaster

Post by wigelywoo »

Well, Maybe
Here's hoping you guys can help.
I had my ECU re mapped to remove Particulate Filter and associates,
The Filter and Cat were broke out, both pretty clogged and the car run perfect no warning messages nothing, I was well pleased, then, 500miles on, whilst towing I got the message ESP/ASR NOT FUNCTIONING and the car has gone into limp mode.
All the usual, switch off and wait, disconect battery ideas have not removed it, Hope you can help,
Thanks
There are two secrets to success
1. never reveal all you know
The Birdman
My Cars:

Post by The Birdman »

Diagnostics?

ps are you driving a 1.6hdi?
For what we are about to receive may we be truly thank full.

http://www.citroencodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.peugeotcodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wigelywoo
My Cars:

Post by wigelywoo »

2.2 Feb 02
The Birdman
My Cars:

Post by The Birdman »

wigelywoo wrote:2.2 Feb 02
Thats a bit of good news , still need codes read .
For what we are about to receive may we be truly thank full.

http://www.citroencodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.peugeotcodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

If you were towing the engine would have been working hard and calling for a lot of boost. This alarm comes up if the boost pressure exceeds the maximum expected by the ECU and often can be due to low vacuum in the controlling system due to a vacuum leak.

Although, I once got this alarm. There were 5 of us in my C5 and I was accelerating hard up an incline on the motorway. The boost must have gone over the top limit.

The alarm may have come up because your 2.2 is now breathing much better and the boost maybe can't be held back enough when the variable geometry turbo is open to the max.

Whether a vaccum leak or high exhaust flow, the alarm is most likely due to turbo overboost.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

I would strongly suspect something Turbo related. If when you switch off and on the car goes straight into ASP/ASR and limp mode then the fault is permanent. Now as far as I know it only goes into Turbo related LIMP mode for excessive boost pressure. I cannot believe that at idle there is enough boost to cause an overboost error on that basis I wonder about the Turbo Pressure sensor, ten minutes with a Lexia is highly recommended.
cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
wigelywoo
My Cars:

Post by wigelywoo »

Thanks guys
I took it to a garage nr. work and they cleared the fault, it was overboost, I then took it to the guy who had re-mapped it and he altered the settings, hopefully, to suit.
again Thanks
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

This sounds like a boost spike to me, the guy that does my remaps warned me this can happen if you take out the cat.

Steve.
not applicable
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

I wonder what he altered, there ar two choices re-map to produce lower boost pressure or re-map to push the overpressure limit higher, personally I would want the overpressure limit higher, simply because I believe that the 2.2 can take more boost than it currently gets and more boost equates to better economy.

cachaciero
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

my 2.2 has standard maps but with DPF disabled
it has not cat and no DPF
I have not had any such problem
I would love to remap it for a power increase but the standard output 320Nm and the torque limit of the 4HP20 transmission is 330Nm, so there isn't much scope for increase
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

cachaciero wrote:I wonder what he altered, there ar two choices re-map to produce lower boost pressure or re-map to push the overpressure limit higher, personally I would want the overpressure limit higher, simply because I believe that the 2.2 can take more boost than it currently gets and more boost equates to better economy.

cachaciero
Can you explain that please.
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

The higher the boost the greater the volumetric efficiency. That is providing the intake charge temperature is kept under control.

Is that what you meant or the maps?

Steve.
not applicable
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

steelcityuk wrote:The higher the boost the greater the volumetric efficiency. That is providing the intake charge temperature is kept under control.

Steve.
Yes, that is what I meant, thanks.
I was hoping for an explanation of that nature as my turbo hasn't been working properly for ages and I am hoping for an improvement in economy as well as performance now.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

steelcityuk wrote:The higher the boost the greater the volumetric efficiency. That is providing the intake charge temperature is kept under control.

Steve.
Steve you put your finger on a big question mark, as I also feel that the intercooler on the 2.2 is also on the small side so while I feel that some improvment would be gained by increasing the boost pressure I also wonder if the same gain could be achieved by fitting a bigger intercooler....... somewhere :-(
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

Well I'm no expert but as I understand there are two factors to engine efficiency, volumetric and thermal.

Thermal efficiency would be determined by factors such as heat absorption into the engine components such as cylinder walls, pistons, cylinder head, etc. All that heat that an engine dumps into the cooling system is an indicator of this inefficiency and wasted power. Hence why petrols heat up so much faster and diesels sometimes use auxillary heaters.

Volumetric efficiency is described usually as pumping losses. The more a cylinder can fill with air the better the volumetric efficiency. This is far easier to achieve than to increase thermal efficiency due to the way IC engines work. Gas flowed intake and exhaust systems, polished ports and valves, multi valve heads and the 'fast and dirty' methods of supercharging.

Like all things there's drawbacks to all these solutions, multivalve heads are expensive, absorb more power and can rob an engine of low down torque due to low gas speeds and flow reversal. Supercharging works well but it causes an increase in intake temperature and cylinder temperature (exhaust temperature too) which means the air charge gets less dense as the boost rises which means that ultimately just upping the boost leads to deminishing returns. There's load of other factors but they'd fill several books.

So generally in a well designed turbo diesel that's cruising under a steady load the engine will be more efficient because it's filling it's cylinders better than a normally aspirated diesel - less pumping loss, however working that turbo diesel hard during acceleration will make that engine use more fuel than the non turbo purely because you can force feed that engine whereas a normally aspirated diesel will only consume what it can breathe in naturally, this being limited by engine design and current RPM.

There's an awful more to all of this but I think this covers the very basics. The most fuel efficient engines are found in big cargo vessels, these are often 2 stroke supercharged diesels turning at very low revs.

Hope that helps.

Steve.
not applicable