Drop links on 1999 Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bikerrob

Drop links on 1999 Xantia

Post by bikerrob »

I tried to change a drop link yesturday on roll bar. I expected it to be a quick job.
I have no problem with the nuts or holding with an allen key. The problem I have is that when unbolted they will not shift. The Haynes manuel said use ball joint tool. However when talking to another xantia user he said they should just come out once unbolted. They do not seem to shift even with a balljoint tool.
Can anyone enlighten me to why what I thought would be an easy job is proving difficult.

- Rob
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Rob

This is the special tool I often use. If the nuts are completely removed then there is nothing holding the drop link ends in place other than corrosion and a tight fit in the hole. Lots of forum members rate Plus Gas as far better than the likes of WD40 as a dismantling aid and a good soaking will probably help.

While the tool below can do a bit of damage to delicate components if you are replacing the drop link anyway a decent welly on the end of the threaded pins should pop them out. If you need to preserve the integrity of the threads screw the nuts back on a few turns before hitting it with the hammer to shock the pin out of the hole.

Thanks

Neil
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Are you trying to remove them on one side with the car jacked up on that side only ? If so, there will be considerable pre-load on the anti-roll bar, consequently you will struggle to remove the link. Ideally, the car needs to be jacked up with both front wheels hanging free. Axle stands are your friends !
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
bikerrob

Post by bikerrob »

Thanks guys,

I will give that a go and post back.

Rob
bikerrob

Post by bikerrob »

All done, took 10 minutes a side with both your advice. Nuts were a bit tight at end so grinded them off.
Once pressure was off roll bar they were loose.
Many thanks for your advice.

Rob
Northern_Mike

Re: Drop links on 1999 Xantia

Post by Northern_Mike »

bikerrob wrote:I tried to change a drop link yesturday on roll bar. I expected it to be a quick job.
I have no problem with the nuts or holding with an allen key. The problem I have is that when unbolted they will not shift. The Haynes manuel said use ball joint tool. However when talking to another Xantia user he said they should just come out once unbolted. They do not seem to shift even with a balljoint tool.
Can anyone enlighten me to why what I thought would be an easy job is proving difficult.

- Rob
Sir needs an angle grinder on that. That's what I do, just use new bolts. It saves so much hassle and you can do both sides in about 10 mins.