C5 rear arm bearings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

C5 rear arm bearings

Post by citronut »

does anyone know were/who posted on here stating the XANT trailing arm bearing kits from GSF are usable on a C5,

as i belive there is quite a lot of diference between most of the parts,

also were can i get just the bearings (SKF) from but not the steeler at £51 quid for a pair :shock:,

my local GSF say they no longer sell the bits seperatly?????,

but i will ask Sir Vince,

regards malcolm
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

When I got mine done they said they only supply the whole kit costing £50 odd.
C'est pas possible!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Malcolm

service.citroen lists the same bearing for C5 as Xantia Hatchbacks, other parts and estates are different. Citroen don't appear to supply a kit. If you can get the bearing out and read the number off it (ha ha!) you should be able to pop along to your local bearing supplier and get just the bearing - or somewhere online like simplybearings. Citroen list it as 22x41x14.4 - which draws a blank on simplybearings :evil:
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it seems the C5 estate bearings and seals are the same as a BX saloon/estate, and XANT saloon (bearing=22X41X4,4) and the seal=30X41X11,

and the XANT estate has bearing=22X46X16,637,

also the C5 pivot tube is shorter than all other BX's,XANTS, CX's

and the pivot tube only goes into the spacer bush's and up to a stepped seat, but not all the way through,

regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The bearings are not available as standard parts.
Thats why your local SimplyBearings cant supply them.
I've been looking for years to try find an alternate source.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

When I did the ones on my 2.2 a couple of years ago I found that the cheapest way to obtain the parts wast buy a couple of Xantia kits from GSF and then get the bolts/nuts and center spacers (I think that was the only extra bits) from Citroen.

However, I did lodge a full list of the part numbers and what was needed in addition to the kits on one of the threads here.

I also lodged a similar list on the yahoo C5-L forum in their folders area.

regards

John
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the main two items i can see diferent from CX,BX and XANT are the bearing bush's and the spacer tube/bearing pivot tube,

as the spacer tube is shorter and the bush's have a machined step on the inside but to fit onto the spacer tube/bearing pivot tube, but not all the way through,

regards malcolm
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

First Line do a reasonably priced kit for the Fiat Bravo/Brava. I am certain that the bearings are the same. Don't know about the seals. The spacer tubes etc certainly different. The bearings and seals used to be available in a kit from SKF for the Peugeot 305, Citroen BX, C15 van and the Xantia hatchback. As already stated only the bearings and seals from this kit will fit the C5. All the other parts are different. Both of the above should be available from most motor factors
johnway
My Cars:

C5 Bearings

Post by johnway »

Hi All,
Further to my own posting on C5 rear end woes I have 'phoned my local bearing supplier and run into a brick wall for bearings of the dimensions given so far. By the way, are these rear suspension bearings ball race, needle or ? Apparently the car industry does not like the bearing supply industry offering parts which would fit - I wonder why ??!!!!
Slightly off kilter (like my rear wheels), are the C5 2001-2004 rear trailing arms the same for estate and saloon? I may try to source arms from a breakers and refurbish as an alternative to stripping and re-building the originals - could save time and nasty surprises. All the best,
John.
My chariots : 2002 Pug 406 110 HDI Executive Estate 138K
1995 Citroen AX 1.0 Debut 26K
I Blame it all on my Dad!! (Sadly had to give up driving & his 2nd BX) but Mum still has a C1.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i belive the C5 saloon and estate use the same bearings, unlike the XANT,

i did actualy speak to SKF UK today to ask if they supply a rear arm kit specificly for the C5,

and they after checking there catalouge's paper and digital say they done do one,

i spoz the next question i should have asked is what is the part No. for just the bearings and the seals on there own,

maybe tomorow,

regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

These bearings are taper roller bearings.
The dimension 22x41x14.4 mm can only be checked correctly when preloaded in-situ.

The bearing inner diameter of 22mm fits exactly the outside diameter on the spacer tube.
Bearing outside diameter of 41mm fits exactly the bore diameter in the suspension arm.
And the bearing depth of 14.4mm fits exactly the arm boredepth, the spacer tube length, the thrustcup washers and any adjustment shims, to total the correct preload of the bearings.

You are therefore bound to use the exact same type of bearings.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
reblack68
My Cars:

Re: C5 rear arm bearings

Post by reblack68 »

citronut wrote: my local GSF say they no longer sell the bits seperatly?????
I received a pair in the post from GSF yesterday. I used the part numbers that have been posted elsewhere as follows.

512PC0080 (old p/n N42350) REAR ARM BEARING................8.25
512PC0100 (old p/n N42362) REAR ARM BEARING SEAL.......1.25
512PC0050 Rear Arm Kit ....................................................38.90

The prices have changed since that was posted, in fact the price I paid was actually slightly lower than it said on the site, £10 each IIRC and another £10 for postage.

Unfortunately the seal P/N didn't seem to work, so I've ordered the rest of the bits from Citroen.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

thank for that Richard i will get onto the bunch at my local GSF and throw those No.'s at them,

regards malcolm
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

My brother has suggested making some phosphor bronze bearings for my rear arm, I wasn't sure whether that would be a good idea or not, is there any major reason not to? (for a Xantia but a similar principle applies)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i dont think they would allow the arm to move as freely as the taper bearing they are normaly fitted with,

regards malcolm