c5 suspension and steering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

donttalkrun

c5 suspension and steering

Post by donttalkrun »

is the steering rack and the front and back suspension struts interchangeable from the mk1 hatchback to the estate 2.0 hdi. lds is far to expensive to keep topping up with?.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Where are you losing LDS from?
donttalkrun

Post by donttalkrun »

front strut oil at top
rear strut oil on bellows
steering rack i think it's on the column shaft
donttalkrun

Post by donttalkrun »

will the indicattor stalk fit from other ones as well
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Not sure about front strut, could be the gaiter but also the seal, more likely the gaiter, same with the rear - these are relatively common, they are designed to collect the LDS from the strut and 'pump' it back to the reservoir.
They do split and leak, also the return pipes get dislodged and they leak from the open union.

Hard to say with steering rack but the power steering hose joints are known to weep a bit. There is a metal-flexi union that lets go after a while.
I believe a complete new hose is required as it is not repairable. Nor is it cheap :(

All MOT failures. Be careful where you take it as there are a lot of ripoff merchants that will insist on fitting new struts - not necessary as the seals are replaceable. There is info to be found on the forum from someone who repaired their own without too much difficulty.
With any luck they will see this and offer suitable advise on how to go about it.
The indicator stalk is unfortunately integral with the Comm 2000 unit, as are the lights and wiper stalks.
Again, not cheap.
What's wrong with it? It my be repairable.
donttalkrun

Post by donttalkrun »

The main problem with the stalk is the inicator side is a bit loose,and the lights sometimes come on or,not, until i jiggle it a bit. I'll give the steering/suspension joints a look over to see if it's just a loose joint or burst bellow. I Hope it's the cheaper option.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I think a thorough inspection is imperative before speculating any further.

As far as the Comm2000, it may be repairable.
A company called BBA-Reman often come up in cases like this.
They may be able to help but they are not showing any prices.
Not sure if you would need to have a Lexia make a replacement (service exchange) unit compatible with your car.
If so you may be able to sweet talk one of our Lexia owners to have a bash at it for you.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

myglaren wrote:Not sure if you would need to have a Lexia make a replacement (service exchange) unit compatible with your car.
If so you may be able to sweet talk one of our Lexia owners to have a bash at it for you.
You dont need a lexia to program a new or second hand com2000 to the car unless the car has ESP as the steering wheel angle sensor needs to be calibrated. If its not calibrated it wont stop anything working apart from the ESP & the warning light will be on.