don't buy a C5 please. undertray now

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

There was a piece hanging down there as my wife drove and it was bouncing about. When i took it off, it was sharp and the cuts are new. So i do think it was undertray.

I noticed the garage had tied it up with a ziptie after they changed the oil. The implication bring that it broke whenthey took it off. I guess it w
As a downhill slope from there. Just another one.
C'est pas possible!
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

[quote="boristhespie"]There was a piece hanging down there as my wife drove and it was bouncing about. When i took it off, it was sharp and the cuts are new. So i do think it was undertray.

I noticed the garage had tied it up with a ziptie after they changed the oil. The implication bring that it broke whenthey took it off. I guess it w
As a downhill slope from there. Just another one.

GARAGE UPDATE:

They had a look under at pipe. Not on lift. Anyway they say it's the return pipe for the power steering.

That the oil is oil that's seeped into it over some time and the hole caused by the undertray is just this getting out frim beyween the pipe and the sponge covering.
C'est pas possible!
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

dieselnutjob wrote:had enough of taking the tray off my 607 every time I do an oil change
maybe I should cut a hole or flap under the sump drain plug
Would have thought a man of your calibre and profession should have a vacuum suction pump, saves all that grubing around underneath to change the oil :-)

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
wright
My Cars:

Post by wright »

vacuum pump doesn't get all the oil out, better to take out sump plug if possible
02 C5 2.0 hdi 110
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Just got new undertray. Postie was trying to fit it through the letterbox.

Looks basic. An't believe it cost 50 quid odd but it also looks less fragile than the original. A kind of plastic that wont shatter I think.
C'est pas possible!
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I noticed the garage had tied it up with a ziptie after they changed the oil. The implication bring that it broke whenthey took it off.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - don't blame your car(s), find a decent garage (or do it yourself).
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

Sorry but yes, they must have broken the undertray when they changed the oil. I did say that. However other faults can't be blaimed on the garage nor can I be blamed for neglecting the cars. They have been serviced when due.

I will say and have said that the garages have been fairly crappy. The dealers, the bosch, you can't say I have NOT tried numerous garages.

It took 3 years And 8 or so garage visits before I diagnosed through you guys that the rear trailing arm bearing was knackered. In that time the dealer saw it six times. They even changed the anti rollbar?????!!!!. A spexialist Citroen said I should just accept I needed a new car as did the dealer when I askes them to change it.

In the end i took 2 days off work to go to a garage miles away and in the middle of nowhere.

So yeah garages havr not proved great but having to go to the garage in the first place is not their fault and neither is it mine.
C'est pas possible!
StevieOMG
My Cars:

Post by StevieOMG »

Have now had my MK1 C5 estate for eight years. Lost the undertray after three years and have never replaced. Have removed front bumper to replace headlamp and to date nothing has moved or flapped during a hell of a lot of motorway, A and B road driving including access and ferry egress
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

The other point is that "garages " aren't interested in Citreons the way that owner/ enthuisiasts are. As an owner/enthuisiast the trick is to find a garage that is. If you can't then you are in trouble unless you DIY.

Most garages will tell you that rightly or wrongly C5s are time consuming and a PITA to fix...........the same attitude to most Cits. The "garage"says this and says that means not much Boris.

I know joiners who could not join hands at a Christmas Party :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It is a sad fact that the majority of garages assume that French cars in general and hydropneumatic Citroens in particular are the work of the devil.
Even worse, I am sure many of the dealers subscribe to this theory too.