C5 02 Estate Rear End Woes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johnway
My Cars:

An update

Post by johnway »

Hi to all that have been following this topic. Well today I tore into the C5 & after a few hours of careful loosening and prying I succeeded in removing the N/S rear suspension trailing arm - only broke 1 bolt (one of the 3 backing plate bolts so no dramas) during the entire process!! On examination of the arm it became very obvious why my tyres had scrubbed out on the inside shoulder - the inner face bearings had obviously collapsed as the arm had a distinct ovoid shape where a perfectly round one should be around the oil seal. Forget new bearings etc. I am going for the breaker's option on a low mileage scrapper. More news (good, I hope) to follow shortly. All the best, John.
My chariots : 2002 Pug 406 110 HDI Executive Estate 138K
1995 Citroen AX 1.0 Debut 26K
I Blame it all on my Dad!! (Sadly had to give up driving & his 2nd BX) but Mum still has a C1.
johnway
My Cars:

Job Done !!

Post by johnway »

Hi all,
Finished the job today - finally !! I had to roam a bit to secure everything required but the money spent versus the local garage estimate has saved the C5 from "retirement". Excellent used trailing arms off a low mileage C5 HPI saloon from A5 Salvage and bargain (chinese?) ebay new calipers have helped to keep the total repair bill to a shade over £300 - this includes a near new Michelin tyre mounted and balanced. I already had another new Michelin spare in the garage from previous bargain hunts. Thank heavens for eBay & the internet. Took her out for a test drive this evening - not a squeak, bang or graunch from the rear end now - hooray and so here's to the next 174K !!

All the best,
John.
My chariots : 2002 Pug 406 110 HDI Executive Estate 138K
1995 Citroen AX 1.0 Debut 26K
I Blame it all on my Dad!! (Sadly had to give up driving & his 2nd BX) but Mum still has a C1.