V6 aux belt change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Lexi,

Not sure how the ECU box on the Xantia comes out.

I've just done the timing belt on my V6 XM. Wasn't to bad a job but it wasn't a 5 minute job either.

If you wish, PM me your email address and I'll forward you the Citroen workshop manual that CitroJim sent me with regards to doing the belt.

One thing that everyone advises is to upgrade to the later C5 style tensioner as it's a million and one times easier to set the tension up.

Regards

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

DHallworth wrote: Not sure how the ECU box on the Xantia comes out.
Disconnect battery, remove lid, unplug ECUs noting that the two plugs on the Hydractive ECU are secured by springy wire clips around their edges that are near-invisible. Start one side of the spring clip on one of the plug narrow side and carefully ease it out so that one side of it is right out of the way. The plug will then pull off. The engine ECU plug has a silver 'handle' on it that lifts up and eases the plug out at the same time. Lift the loom and the two double injection relays up and clear so that the ECUs can be lifted out.

In the bottom of the box are two 10mm studs. Remove them. Push the box back and lift it up at the back by the aircon receiver/drier, carefully disconnect the cooling duct hose at the front of the box. The hose will just pull off. Tease the box out.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

DHallworth wrote:Lexi,

Not sure how the ECU box on the Xantia comes out.

I've just done the timing belt on my V6 XM. Wasn't to bad a job but it wasn't a 5 minute job either.

If you wish, PM me your email address and I'll forward you the Citroën workshop manual that CitroJim sent me with regards to doing the belt.

One thing that everyone advises is to upgrade to the later C5 style tensioner as it's a million and one times easier to set the tension up.

Regards

David.
IIRC correctly there are two bolts in the bottom of the box? ECU slides out to gain access to them.

The later tensioner is much better, there is one caveat though....

If you change the tensioner you may need to change the waterpump to match. There are a variety of waterpumps and so it depends on what you currently have as to whether you need to change it.

Failing that you can modify the existing waterpump type to accommodate the later tensioner.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That was a good double posting Toby. Thee and me at EXACTLY the same time :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

:lol:

You were much more detailed though Jim, and confirmed there are bolts there. I couldn't recall if there were or not.

I must confess it has been so long since I've properly worked on the Activa that I have forgotten a great deal. On the flip side, I can remember Coupé related items fairly well! :lol:
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Thank playmates. Was thinking this was way to get ecu box out Jim but did not want to start pulling. I knew the bolts were there as I managed to get one out but could not see the other.

Will mail you David. Thanks Toby.

Mmm...Mrs Lexi was holding my lever......... (steady guys)....... and was saying non complementary things about Cits. She is now BANNED from taking V6 if her Honda breaks down. :shock: :lol: . I might even paint a few spheres yellow and put them in her fruit bowl :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

lexi wrote: I might even paint a few spheres yellow and put them in her fruit bowl :lol:
Careful Lexi, she might just go bananas....
Jim

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

:lol: Nice one!
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.